Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to grant-aid Eircom €18m regional plan

Options
  • 04-02-2002 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I'm dumbfounded,

My Taxes pay for national telecoms company - it's sold to back to me for above going rate - I'm forced to sell it by crooked directors to 'SIR one of the Boys', said wanker gets it for a real steal. My Taxes are now given to the company I used to own.

There I'll be loops of 'Broadband' around me but no mention of when I can have it or for how much.

Why doesn't the government just give me Mr. Reilly's address & I'll send him my taxes directly.

Bertie has just lost 2 votes in D7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Likewise, I hope the local councils involved understand what they're paying for, otherwise it's taxpayers money going down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Why is it that the words "private sector" found in the article mentioned above are setting alarm bells off inside my head that the government (at both national and regional levels) have STILL not managed to grasp the simple concept of "home user" ??

Will any of these funds see any improvement for the home user? Or is it just more broadband for businesses, thus keeping the status quo ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Well if the government is acting like this then we will never see fairly priced and distributed broadband. The government shouldnt give more money to Eircom, thats like throwing more petrol on the proverbial fire of eircom getting more money by ripping us off. If I was in charge, id do something like fine Eircom a million pounds a day until they release flatrate internet access, ( 56k flatrate ). If they failed to comply, then Id watch them sink and spend the money on a new and better run telco ;)

Oh and heres an idea, for all web developers. Anyone in here who makes webpages for a living should approach their clients, and ask them could you put an irelandoffline banner up on their page, and then offer them a discount if they do. I think that would be a great help for Irelandoffline.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

It's like throwing petrol on a fire

Pitty we can't douse Eircom's Flames..

Eircom are nothing but an un-competitive monopolizing company', who's only interests are their own.

Aye...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Found loads of stuff like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Sorry I hit the reply button before I was done. :rolleyes:

http://www.irlgov.ie/taoiseach/press/Archives/1999/05-07-99.htm
    Under the terms of the agreement, Global Crossing will offer ownership rights over capacity on their network. IDA Ireland and the Minister for Public Enterprise will jointly agree with Global Crossing for the provision of 25 Gbps of capacity to 24 European cities and to the US to a value of Euro 77m. This capacity will be sufficient for every man, woman and child in Ireland to connect to the Internet at broadband speed with full voice, video and other functionality. This will firmly establish Ireland as a centre for companies targeting the emerging European e-commerce market.
    The Minister for Public Enterprise, Mary O'Rourke, also announced EU aid of 23 Million euro in respect of nine contracts to seven different companies for the roll out of the national broadband telecommunications systems
    These contracts will mean an additional investment of 60 million euro in modernising the Irish telecommunications system. The statistics for this initiative are also compelling, she said. "These networks will link 120 different towns throughout the country, they will touch twenty-one counties and will reach approximately 2 million people and involve the laying of approximately one thousand kilometres of cable", Minister O'Rourke said

Has all this fallen through? Everywhere I look I see Millions being spent on grants Etc. for ways to improve the Internet / Broadband / Etc. capability in Ireland too many to post here. So where is all the €'s going? It might be worth while for IOFFL to look into all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

For some reason I get the feeling that these grants end up either being pissed on a wall or in a stripper's cleavage somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Global Crossing has gone bust anyway, they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last week. Which was kind of comical (in a nasty sort of way), because ENN revealed (that someone else revealed) that GC were looking for early payments from the Irish Government the day they did.

The only grant-aid actively being used /that I'm aware of/ is Esat's local loop unbundling program. As far as I can remember, it's 50% grant-aided by the government. (This figure may not be accurate. Your mileage may vary. Running in, please pass.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Some fat ugly TD,s has the €s sitting in his bank account acumilating massive intrest this way they can hand back the original amount when they finaly get cornered and walk of with hundreds of thousand if not a million or two in intrest.Evil b*****ds.I hate to say it but.......... I told ya so now the goverment has hitched its wagon to the Eircom Donkey we will not see broadband in the country and in the citys youll be lucky to get it in two years.It comes down to this Eircom will never be competative it does not no how they have a state owned mentality in a private sector world they are fossils and the goverment is worse for either taking backhanders from them or just being to stupid to relise they are being milked.I said it before ill say it again the goverment should bypass eircom alltogether otherwise A/Broadband will stay a dream B/ Certain members of the goverment will end in in the courts in a year or two facing corruption charges.

Stone:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement