Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a good inexpensive monitor for Home Recording

Options
  • 04-02-2002 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

I'm a newbie to home recording on my PC and I am looking for suggestions for a good inexpensive monitor. I am willing to spend up tp £400. What is the best quality monitor I can get for that price?

I remember somebody recommended the Yamaha NS10M before, but I found out that Yamaha have stopped making those.

I know of some active Tannoy Reveals going for £500, but they may be a little out of my league. I can get passive Tannoy Reveals for cheaper but I will then need to buy an amp which will probably bump the price up to around £500 anyways.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Where I can buy a monitor (2nd hand or new)?
    Is there any good web-sales apart from Thomann?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

post your message in the www.computermusic.co.uk forum,
    a pretty good magazine for all that home recording stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Will do...thanks Knobbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Paul Hare

Peats have good monitors from €200 upwards.
    http://www.peats.com/

Generally speaking you can nowadays get good monitors for that
    price, check out the website.

£400 is too much to pay unless you want a flat screen which are starting to go for around that price.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭skittles

ha ha. he meant monitors of the audio variety. not the visual. good on ya though. I need both... Decent monitors and a nice flat screen.

Sorry Paul...I should have been more specific...I'm looking for audio monitors...studio speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Paul Hare

OOoopss, I'll get my jacket. :(

But on a serious note, I know someone I can ask. I'll let you know.

Paul

Thanks Paul...Can you ask your friend if he knows of anywhere that sells this sort of "studio" equipment second hand...I'm looking for a good cheap mixing desk aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tom E Brown

Pofessional Monitor Company TB1S are the best you can get.

They're being used by radio 1 in the UK for all their studio monitoring. Second hand they should be around €300 / 400.

Failing that second hand NS 10s are good (if a little bright) and have great imaging. Have a look in buy and sell for a second hand pair.

If you cant get either speaker, get a copy of what hi fi and have a look at any audio speaker made by either morden short, JBL, pro monitor for about €250, and that should do it.

Id look to spend a good amount on your power amp however. Unless you have a powerful amp to drive the speakers you wont be able to hear the attack on the bass frequencys. this can make you push up the bass to much in the mix only to regret it later.

If you going to be recording you need to listen at a fairly low level to mix, but a powerful amp gives you a much more acurate sound at lower levels.

Hope that helps

It certainly does help, Tom...thanks.

Advertisement