Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Referendum

• 04-02-2002 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with this referendum.
    I dont know what it is proposing. Does anyone know where I can get some info on this as I would like to know what Im going to be voting on?

You'd think the government would have learned from their mistake re: Nice Treaty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What this referendum is about is hiding the bad economic downturn and the sleaze in politics at the moment by rolling out the old emotive favourite Abortion.

I understood after the last referendum was that the Dail/Government had enough mandate to go on to put legislation in place.

Getting back on topic I'll have a look around and see if I can dig up a few links for you.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be (slightly) fair to the government Bertie Aherne had promsied this at some point in this term and could have dropped it a la PFP.

As for what its about, well it honestly hardly matters becasue 6000-7000 Irish girls and women will still go to nasty Britain to get an abortion, regardless of whether its passed or not.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I don't know what the proposal for the referendem is but but its really just Bertie keeps his promises from the last general election in the run up to the forthcoming one this summer. If you remember Bertie got the support from 4 independant TDs (Jackie Healy Rae et all) to get into government., some of which wanted the referendum for there support. I think Bertie is makeing sure his has there support again this time round.

What is also interesting is there is no commision set up yet. Matbe its a bit early yet, but the proposed referemdum date is in march something. Link found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭dmeehan

yeah, unfortuneatley i voted for mildred at the last election.
    boy was i sorry
    al she has done since is whinge about abortion
    she wont be gettin my vote in may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I can recall hearing from some analysts (mgith have been pro-choice groups) a while back that the current referendum must not pass. It actually makes the current situation worse as regards pro-choice, and is not "copper-fastening" as certain politicians like to use that word. Quite the opposite

As pointed out alreayd on this thread ... they got enough legislation last time to deal with it, and this is merely pandering to four independents and those religious right-wing facist groups (which I might add have been linked to dealings with the "nuremburg files" website)

• Advertisement
Advertisement