Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I so out of touch?

Options
  • 04-02-2002 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

No it’s the children that are wrong!

I was offered a ticket to go see staind last night, and always looking to go to a rock concert I accepted. OK that’s I lie, I’m having a mid life crisis (at 19) and I’m trying to get back in with the grove.

I didn’t know what to expect before the gig because I’ve only heard two songs by staind and I didn’t really like them, although I was told by the girl who gave me the ticket that of you like Rage Against the Machine you will like these.

So I drive to the gig and when I arrive I’m sure I must be seeing the last stragglers leaving Dustin and Socky’s Christmas pantomime because there are kids everywhere. I was actually feeling old making my way into the venue.

Inside it was like a crèche for boys and girls between the age of 12-16. I made my way to the bar and there was no queue at all there was very few people legally allowed to drink and most of them where the parents of the kids there. OK I am exaggerating but not too much.

The warm up band Vex Red (I think) play for about forty minutes. They actually weren’t too bad, the crowd where giving them a good reception which I thought was cool because I’ve been at so many gigs where the warm up acts just get totally abused.

After watching them I go back out to the lobby and talk with my bass player. We can’t get over how young the crowd is. Where both nineteen and we felt like dinosaurs at this gig. I stopped a kid walking by me wearing a Nirvana t shirt and asked had he ever heard of the smashing pumpkins. No was the response. I actually wasn’t that surprised, I was even expecting him to say something stupid like we did that one Halloween.

Anyway on came staind, the crowd were going nuts and the opened up fairly heavy, myself and my bassist pushed into the crowd so we could mosh, but look high and low there was nothing at all that came close to moshing people were just jumping up and down, not even pogoing. The longer staind played the more boring it got. The guitarist did nothing interesting. Power chords, it was like listening to punk music but way slower and a lot more distortion. The guitarist also kept doing this weird thing were he would bend over and play. It looked like he was acting out a scene from a prison movie. I was embarrassed for him, he looked like such a tool.

Other then the lead singer walking around the stage there was no really movement. The band just stood still and played.

One thing I will say is that the crowd did slowly start to move more aggressively but moshing seems to have been replaced with, form a big circle and push your friends into it. No contact please this is a rock concert. Myself and my bassist (he’s remaining nameless for no particular reason) started to mosh a bit, and what happens? People were actually staring at us like we where freaks. We were only banging shoulders! “Mommy those two boys are killing each other” I am sure there were kids nearby saying that. After that I just lost all hope.

Now I now I’ve been ranting for an A4 page but I’m sure it will start going somewhere.

My guess would be that the average age of people there was 16/17. When I was 17 I went to a “real rock concert” I went to see Anathema at Eamon Doran’s and it’s still one of the best gigs I’ve been at. Firstly the band actually looked like a rock band. Image is nothing and all that bull so maybe that shouldn’t matter. More importantly they played like a rock band. Including plenty of guitar solo’s. Now kiddies that is rock music. Last night I saw a band play for over an hour and half, this supposed rock band did not have one guitar solo. It was just heavy riffs over and over and over you get the point.

So I think I will remain a rock dinosaur. Maybe lots of the bands I listen to are dead, split up, in jail etc. but at least their good, and at least the Olympia is willing to put on tribute bands. If going to see a tribute band over Staind is square. Well I guess I’m square.

In ten years time will people still be listening to Staind? I very much doubt it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh come on...

Staind are barely rock at all!
    What on earth did you expect?

You didn't happen to see Anathema in December did you?
    Fantastic concert it was.

But don't try and fit in with the kids. That's ridiculoud!
    I'm learly 20 myself.
    When I was 17 I went to see Metallica. Not some pussy band that was the "In Thing" at the time.

Find a proper metal concert. One thats aimed at adults, and not at angsty kids.

You definetly aren't the one who's out of it! It's the kids!
    Staind are Fred Durst's band, they're on his label...
    The kids are WRONG.

I'm sure the little bouncy buggers would have truly **** themselves if they had witnessed the pit at Opeth. You didn't happen to see them did you?

Anyway, My Dying Bride might be playing the Music Centre in May, you should come along with all us other crusty old farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Please don't label all people below 17 as music illiterate, uncultured fools. I have been listening to the pumpkins since Siamese Dream, which was when i was around 7(1993). Now I am 15 yet i am not in to crappy Nu-metal (Formally known as sports-metal)
    I have been to proper rock concerts and yes i did come back wrecked and sore from doing proper moshing with blatent disregard for other peoples wellbeing (unless they fell down)
    So next time don't stereotype us all. It's only those muppets wearing Kurt Cobain shirts that don't know whats going on.

P.S Fanj if you like the pumpkins, you may want to download Zwans songs. http://www.billy-corgan.net/downloads/mp3/shows/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by AngelWhore

I was kind of joking about trying to fit in with the kids.

My Dying Bride you say?

I have 34.788% complete it's a really good album

Think I might rejoin all the other old fogies and go

BTW I saw Anathema in Spetember/ October 1999

Oh yeah D-G I'm not labelling all kids under 17 just everyone under 17 at that gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

youre not out of touch youre just smart enough not to believe substanceless hype.
    Last night I saw a band play for over an hour and half, this supposed rock band did not have one guitar solo. It was just heavy riffs over and over and over you get the point

that is on the ball. These bands are product, and sub-standard product at that (I personally see no true artistry or emotion in their "music" despite its intended depth. Sadly you learned this the hard way.
    Hopefully some day these kids will be presented with quality rock and be clever enough to know it when it hits them. Untill then they are market suceptable drones who will buy into whatever the industry tells them is cool.

coverband over stained? - anyday (although I have seen some true horrors on that front too) My prefrence is always to the quality indie music - honest, immediate, unprocessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

The Fanj are you nicknamed that from school
    does a smashing pumpkins DVD ring a bell if so msg back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Oh come on...

Staind are barely rock at all!
    What on earth did you expect?

You didn't happen to see Anathema in December did you?

I'm learly 20 myself.
    When I was 17 I went to see Metallica. Not some pussy band that was the "In Thing" at the time.

Find a proper metal concert. One thats aimed at adults, and not at angsty kids.

You definetly aren't the one who's out of it! It's the kids!
    Staind are Fred Durst's band, they're on his label...
    The kids are WRONG.

I'm sure the little bouncy buggers would have truly **** themselves if they had witnessed the pit at Opeth. You didn't happen to see them did you?

Anyway, My Dying Bride might be playing the Music Centre in May, you should come along with all us other crusty old farts.

for a man who spouts on about there being no rights or wrongs in music, you sure are preachy about it. what exactly makes you the information super guide to music?

and dont try that yoda trick on us either....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by atonal
    I personally see no true artistry or emotion in their "music" despite its intended depth. Sadly you learned this the hard way.

Obviously you've never really tried to listen to their music. For me, what I enjoy about the music is the emotion. Pretty much all of the songs are energy, that's it, and that's why I like it (well, he also has precisely the same vocal range as me, but that's different :)). As bands go, they're not particularly talented, Aaron (the lead singer) is the most talented, but it's impossible to lay down some serious riffing and give your all to singing at the same time (If you're anyway good ;)). Hence the guitar lines and bass lines aren't exactly difficult, but the music has some serious energy, something which 'traditional' rock bands (Iron Maiden, Metallica) have been lacking for a long time, which, as I said is why I like it. Manufactured? Nope. They've struggled just like any other. 'Break the Cycle' is their third album, and still they don't gain much recognition in Europe, despite it's success. The other two albums are virtually impossible to obtain outside the US.

Anyway, even if you don't like it, would you prefer all those kids at the gig to be listening to scooter or DJ Otsie and starting on all and sundry. And for the record, I've been to much better gigs. The Point ruins rock gigs. Green Day in the SFX, now that was the craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by The FANJ
    I stopped a kid walking by me wearing a Nirvana t shirt and asked had he ever heard of the smashing pumpkins. No was the response. I actually wasn’t that surprised, I was even expecting him to say something stupid like we did that one Halloween.

Holy sh!t what is the world coming to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by seamus

Obviously you've never really tried to listen to their music. For me, what I enjoy about the music is the emotion. Pretty much all of the songs are energy, that's it, and that's why I like it

Anyway, even if you don't like it, would you prefer all those kids at the gig to be listening to scooter or DJ Otsie and starting on all and sundry. And for the record, I've been to much better gigs. The Point ruins rock gigs. Green Day in the SFX, now that was the craic

first off: note that I said "personally" . To me they are high on content low on impact, i did not deny that they may have impact for others. But really I get nothing out of them. I find them tiresome and the 'emotion' in the songs to be pre-packaged for consumption.

And I suppose there are worse things kids could listen to, stained will not stand the test of time though i dont think.

Green Day, although not really my thing, put on a fine show loads of energy from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

for a man who spouts on about there being no rights or wrongs in music, you sure are preachy about it. what exactly makes you the information super guide to music?

and dont try that yoda trick on us either....

If you beleive my point of view on the subject, then that makes me the information super guide to music.

*Waves hand infront of WWM's face.

These are not the driods... Ermm...

*Waves hand again.

I am right, the kids are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

first of all "who made you God, FANJ",

who says rock has to be a certain format, wouldn't that get a bit repetitve and sort of create a boring style of music,

and secondly Stain'd are friends of Fred Durst who he helped get signed to the same label as Limp Bizkit, Epic/Interscope.

while Puddle of Mudd are his band because they are signed to his label Flawless,

so dont go around telling us who is controlled by who and what music should be.

Originally posted by EpiphoneSpecial
    first of all "who made you God, FANJ",

One of the mysteries of my divinity is that no one knows who made me if anyone, maybe I was always here or maybe there’s a higher up god and I’m in one of the smaller realms and I don’t even know it. Either way just remember that yes in fact I am God.

Firstly I am totally entitled to my opinion!

My opinion on Staind is that they are crap.

Musically boring and limited.

I totally agree all rock music shouldn't have to follow a formula and that diversity is a good thing.

But...

Just because something is different does not make it good.

Also Staind are nothing new musically, there not doing anything that could come close to being called original or breakthrough.

Most of their fans are image conscious kiddies who are worried about fitting into the MTV definition of cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yeah, I used to be with IT but then they changed what IT was. Now what's IT, I find weird and scary.

I'm also 20 and feeling a little old but look at it this way, I'm sure a few years back when we were all into grunge music there were plenty of "big hair metal" leather pants wearing, 20 somethings who didnt see what all the fuss was about.

Then they all got proper jobs, got married and stopped caring about music. I'm sure the only album they would buy today would be "bon Jovi's greatest hits"

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I think Nu-metal is rather sub-par at best but my opinion doesn't matter to the record companies anymore because I'm not in the "target demographic".

Face it kids, we are getting old and I don't know about you but it scares the **** out of me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Face it kids, we are getting old and I don't know about you but it scares the **** out of me.

well, from someone who's a tad older (ah em..) you never stop being scared about growing old!

as for your taste in music, it changes and grows out in all sorts of ways, you stop caring what other people think about your taste and you decide if you like it, then thats fine.

mine just seems to keep going further back, right now I am listening to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath a lot and the Doors, it was Led Zep and Pink Floyd before that and before that Metallica and Alice in Chains (those are just examples - my collection is pretty wide at this stage)

when you're a teenager you're just trying to find your way and following the crowd makes them accept you - which highly important at that age.

I have a 13 year old daughter, since she was a baby I have played music to her so she is now a hugh fan of Type O Neg, Metallica etc.. however she still loves Korn too.... so what can ya do? her little friends slag her for likeing "old metal" - I told her to inform them if they have any intention of continuing to like music they will eventually go down the same road themselves!

I'm rambling.... my point was they are young.... they will get there....... patience is all that's required!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Beruthiel: Nail, hammer, head.

Stain'd are nothing new. I bought that recent album of theirs and there's maybe 1 or 2 songs worth listening to. I like the guy's voice and the lyrics are OK, but it's all a bit dreary and on the same topic - what one of my mate's calls "Girlfriend left me" songs.

It's not new, it's certainly not original. I like the sound the guitar player has, but I've seen what he looks like whilst playing - I agree with that prison reference Tom :)

The debate about new -v- old metal. It's a generation gap issue - the oldest arguement between ages the world has known!

We can rest easy knowing that people will still be listening to Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Maiden et all long after we're gone, but they'll be saying "Limp who?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ian

well, most music will not be remembered in ten years, I guess.....

and most bands are not very energetic live- Nirvana was raw and great

and some other bands that cater to young kids mostly- like Linkin Park do come off really well live-

I tend to find more interest in the garage / ie up and coming bands that I see in clubs etc- because they are hungry

saw French Kiss they are from NY and they are pretty cool live

saw an acoustic set from Fuzz45- great material- not really energetic as such but alot of banter with the crowd which I liked

Radiohead puts on good almost trippy shows too

I think that Staind suffers from sounding like alot of bands now-

adios

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Myself and my bassist (he’s remaining nameless for no particular reason) started to mosh a bit, and what happens? People were actually staring at us like we where freaks. We were only banging shoulders!

:mad: I really hate that...

Originally posted by scuzzy

:mad: I really hate that...

What reamaining nameless, banging shoulders or being stared at like freaks? Or all of the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

What an interesting discussion ;)

If people of 19 are rock dinosaurs - what the hell does that make me??? 26, still with the beard and hair - am I a relic??? Er no!

Yes when you go and see new bands the crowds arent as "into it" as in days of yore. I went to see Anathema - and too be honest I was not impressed. This was their recent gig in the TBMS and too be honest I thought they sucked. I was told they were pretty good, and I gave most of their albums a listen, and while not overly appealing to me, I said "why the hell not" and I went. The crowd wasnt moving, standing around like statues but hell that didnt detract from some people saying ti was a great gig, it just didnt appeal to me. Music has changed dramactially over the last few years, but it seems the "cutting edge" that rock music used to create has simply been swallowed into the MTV-type bands that we see on TV all the time.

Bnds around today are, unfortunately, classed into several categories. It seems, to me anyway, that most people define bands by the own individual tastes, instead of lumping everything into the same category.

Rock music is rock music - just because an indivdual likes a certain band, who also happen to be MTV's bastard child of the month, doesnt mean they are ignorant, foolish or down right stupid - its just what appeal to them. If that is the case, the I am stuck in the 70's, and 80's listening to Sabbath, Slayer and loads of bands that have always inticed me into a head-banging, moshing frenzy.

Hell I was in Bruxelles on Saturday night (beside the ciggie machine if anyone saw me, and to the left of the fight that broke out) - and there was only a hand full of people headbanging, everyone else was "talking" - lol. I know I have gone off topic here, but my personal feeling is, if you think it sounds right, and you like it - you can have it.

But whats even worse is the war of words that break out between fans of different types of "rock" music - mine is better then yours and all that crap - thats what makes for a world divided, and thats what makes for a huge crock of sh*t!

Advertisement