Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

annoying little thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

That happens to me in windows 2000, I don't know if thats what you are using, but how I fix it is to dial the connection directly through dial-up networking once, and it saves the password ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

you could always dial up the net with a dialer proggy, like Advanced Dialer (which i use in win98 & win2k). www.pysoft.com to get that . . .

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

It happens when your copy of windows isnt 'logged on' with a particular username or one without enough 'privledges' on nt/2k.

So basically in win98, instead of pressing escape when it asks u to log on, just log on with a new name or whatever so it has a proper account created for you, which it can 'trust' with password saving..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

for some reason none of my dial-up programs will save my password. If I use a DUN connection the "save password" box is unavailable and with IE ticking it has no effect. Is there some trick to this? If I don't tick the save password box will it save it? confused.gif Damn Microsoft frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

in win 9* simply del any *.pwl files on your c:\ drive...

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by m1RV:
    It happens when your copy of windows isnt 'logged on' with a particular username or one without enough 'privledges' on nt/2k.

So basically in win98, instead of pressing escape when it asks u to log on, just log on with a new name or whatever so it has a proper account created for you, which it can 'trust' with password saving..
    </font>

That's the problem but it kinda sucks donkey balls. I'm the only one who uses my computer and though I'm aware of a lack of security I much prefer not having a log-in screen and allowing the computer to boot itself completly without me being there to press the return button like a trained chimp. mad.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    I much prefer not having a log-in screen and allowing the computer to boot itself completly without me being there to press the return button like a trained chimp. mad.gif</font>

Then download (here or here) and install (right click the INF file and click "install") TweakUI. It puts an applet in the control panel, in which you can go to the "Logon" tab and automate your 'network' logon.

bard2.gif

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 05-12-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I believe you actually -HAVE- to have "Client for Microsoft Networks" installed in your network settings for it to remember passwords for you.

Check this PC-Plus article for a more in-depth reply to your query.

Hope this helps.

bard2.gif

Advertisement