Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alpha PAL 8045

Options
  • 05-02-2002 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

Anyone got an Alpha PAL 8045?
    I got one and 1x 80mm Delta Screamer. (got 2 outtake aswell)
    Im maxing @ 48*C when room temp is 32*C.
    Anyone have any similar experiences?
    PIC: http://www.planetpc.ie/overclockers/pics/102-0240_IMG.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Uhh theres something up with your pic, mosac?
    I was considering getting one of these but here quite pricey :/
    Nearly every website thats reviewed it said its the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

welcome aboard PPC, nice to have another overclocker here :)

I've built 2 machines with the 8045, a 1600+ and a 1900+, and I think the 1900+ got up to 42-43 under full load, and that was with the 80mm ystech fan at 7volts to quieten it down. With the fan at 12volts, it stayed under 40. Now I know temp measurements vary between amd boards because of the ambiguity of the in socket thermal sensor, but I think your temps should be lower. Perhaps ensure you only have a thin layer of thermal compound?

/edit my room temp was nowhere near 32c though, so on reflection your temps are pretty good! /edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I'm runnning a 1700 with some sort of Coolermaster at the moment and Mines maxing out at around 48c..sometimes it hits 50c

I'm wondering if the problem lies in the thermistor.....My mobo is a AbitKR7A-Raid.

Might be PPCs problem also? Maybe it's the room temp. for me too. (Like to keep it good and toasty :) )

Oh ya..I'm going switching to a different cooler, and I was looking at the Zalman flower Silent cooler thingy. Should I go for it?

Any other recommendations welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

How much would one of those infra-red/UV thermometres cost?
    Ballpark figure, no great degree of accuracy needed.

Dementor's Athlon melted over ht eweekend at GL2.5
    Shoulodn't have. His and Neoslicer's were the noisiest there cos of all the fans they had.

Thrax's Kyro2 burnt up a trace too. It's in the Electronics labs at the moment waiting for someone to come alonge and have a go at it.
    A whole piece of the trace is destroyed. Not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

kyro that cooler is indeed quite but nothing as good a coolere as the one your on

check here for a nice round up of a 10 coloers doing the rounds atm

im using the Super Thermalright SK6 atm - was using a 60mm delta screamer on it and got the temp to about 38 under load, switched to to a MUCH quiter 80mm ys-tech and it now runs at 40c under load

this is with the case off tho ;) but i have some time tomrrow to hack some holes in it and mount 2 80mm evercool fans on the case and put it back togethere :)

• Advertisement

Just because the fan was noisy, doesn't mean it was brilliant!
    Perhaps the machine didn't travel well, and the heatsink moved slightly on its mountings. If its a heavy heatsink held to just 2 tabs on the socket, you should check it before powering up. Or else maybe the lan was held in a furnace?, I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I did originally get a thermalright SK6 with a YStech 60mm (Think you mean 60mm too Strat or else thats one heck of a fan :) )

I keep the case on, but I do have some YSTECH 80mm running at the back and front. Theres also 2 in the PSU.

I think my Thermalright was kinda b0rked..as I was getting 70 just booting up. Probably due to the fact that the moron putting it together put on too much arctic silver...then decided to try silcon compound instead :mad:

And before anyone asks, that moron WASN'T me.

hehe..yeah I was thinking the HSF might have come loose.
    The pair of em each had Deltas (or something like em) and I counted about 5 different fans all around his case.
    They had arrived early on Friday afternoon, i didn't arrive till 8pm ish.
    "I'm away 5 mins and look what ye've done....."
    :)

I think the boards is totalled too. Someone tried a Duron in it. Didn't boot.
    Funny though, two PCs having problems...
    The ambient temp could have been a bit high too though, especially around the time they would have been there.
    The room had a really high ceiling too, you'd think it would be cool enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Kyro
    I did originally get a thermalright SK6 with a YStech 60mm (Think you mean 60mm too Strat or else thats one heck of a fan :) )
    fnarrr

got me sef a 80-60mm fasn adapter and rigged it up
    i wanted the power of the delta with less noise so it ment a bigger fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Nah your temps are fine PPC.

I have an Alpha Pal 8045 running on my XP1700+ oc'ed to XP2000+ if the ambient temp is cool then it runs under 40 no probs but at the mo I''m refitting a bust of case fans so it does run up at the higer end of the forties until I get them all sorted.

Ambient temp has a massive effect on the core temp so get the heat out of the case.

.logic.

• Advertisement

....well I have a bog standard P3(Cu)800 @ 800MHz0rz with a crappy whiney dirty standard fan!
    Ripped the back case packaging off too! SO THERE!

:p Purely in jest you understand......

once I get my ass to dublin and get some nice fans and stuff I'll do a nice modding job. Will be quiet too :)

does the motherboard not let you raise the fsb or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

Currently have the PAL8045 with the 80MM Delta attached to a Athlon XP 1600+ on a Epox 8KHA+.
    Cpu is running at 1478Mhz (78Mhz oc), FSB of 140MHZ.
    Case temp tends to hover just under 20C, CPU is usually in the
    mid-twenties when idle, moving up to the late 20's C when under load.

Have tried running cpu at 1600Mhz, but encountered stability problems. Reboots/lock ups during post and data corruption after BSOD in w2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I 7v modded the delta and it maxes at 43*c when the mobo is 26*c.
    Thats blowing by the way.

out of the heatsink I presume?

Originally posted by Gerry
    does the motherboard not let you raise the fsb or something?
    It does, just that at the moment any overclocking makes it unstable.
    Heatsink is held on with cable ties and using crappy thermal paste. Planning to fix it up better soon.

I was screwing on the fan grill last night after i painted it with uv paint and i pressed too hard on the fan and the computer restarted.
    I thought nothing of it and continued on.
    Later on MBM said that my cpu was 71*C and it rose up to 76*C.
    I thoguht nothing of it and thought the mobo sensor was faulty till i felt it and it was roasting.
    I found out the fan connections came out.
    So i plugged it back in and it dropped to 41*c within 2 mins.
    Thank god the heatsink is so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Have an AMD Xp running at 1640 (so 1900 and a bit :) ) with a Zalman CNPS6000-cu. Case temp is ~29, CPU maxes at about 50. Thats using a 120mm/108cfm Sunon fan instead of the supplied 92mm/54cfm. Also using the bog std paste supplied with the sink, (Arctic Silver ran out, must be remedied)
    I actually havent tried to use the supplied fan yet so I may give that a go and see if she's still stable. The high ambient temp isnt helping much either, and that's with the case off (The 120mm is so close to the cover it made more sense, trust me).

Originally posted by PPC
    I was screwing on the fan grill last night after i painted it with uv paint and i pressed too hard on the fan and the computer restarted.
    I thought nothing of it and continued on.
    Later on MBM said that my cpu was 71*C and it rose up to 76*C.
    I thoguht nothing of it and thought the mobo sensor was faulty till i felt it and it was roasting.
    I found out the fan connections came out.
    So i plugged it back in and it dropped to 41*c within 2 mins.
    Thank god the heatsink is so big.

To avoid static leave the PC plugged into the wall, turn it off and hit the wall switch so the Live and Neutral wires are broken, but the earth is still on. No power getting though, but the static charge still runs to the ground line.

Either that or get some earthing wire and hook it to a radiator.

No it was the molex connectors that came out.
    Also i always leave the pc plugged in.
    In a coolermaster 201 with out anyfans the cpu temp doesnt reach over 60*c i heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

heh syx ya wanna be careful about the aul radiator trick, some of them (the newer ones) will not discharge static! :)

someone elaborate pls......

not sure about that, but I wouldn't say the paint on a radiator conducts, so it might be wiser to touch the valves or copper pipes at the bottom of it.

Yeah, kinda meant that :)

I'm planning on setting up a workbench thing on one whole side of my room, going to have a bit of CAT5 routing done, power points and an earth rail along the back.

Going to pop my mp3-jukebox/PC under neath it too.

Advertisement