Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novell Network Card Drivers

• 28-11-2000 1:31am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My pc recieves and sends winpopups, can see other pcs on a network but cannot copy anything from them, but can copy from the college LAN, no internet.

What is going on?

I reckon that I need new drivers for the card but cannot find them on the Novell page...what do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id say its nothing to do with your network card. if you can see other computers then your card is working fine, you are on the network. if you cannot copy from other pc's then i suggest that you do not have the correct privilages to do so
    also, just because you are on a lan, does not mean you have internet access.
    your account may not have internet privilages or your pc may not have the right proxys.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

correct proxies and priv's , like they are te same as all the other pcs in my house(plassey), grrr this is driving me mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

do you have file and print shareing enabled?
    are you using log in with microsoft network client as opposed to family logon or something like that?

bugger, if i had a system in front of me i could say what to look for, but its a while since i did anything like that for windows 98. i assume you are using 98?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

If you are using an ipx LAN with Win95/98 and you are able to see the other hard drive on network neighbourhoods, then what you have to do is right click on the C:\ in MyComputer (or win. explorer) and in its properties you will find the option to share the hard drive (either read-only or read\write).
    IF that option is NOT there, then you have to enable file sharing by going
    Controlpanel-->Networks-->File and Printer Sharing (which is an option in Networks).

I hope this helps.

Btw - this has to be done on the computer you are copying FROM definately.
    Probably the computer ure copying TO also, although Im not certain.

• Advertisement

Actually I had better clarify that smile.gif
    The computer you are sitting at, using to copy files from another PC might not need to have File sharing enabled. The one u are copying from will tho.

Therefore, ure problem is probably that the PC's u are trying to copy from havent this enabled.
    Well thats my best guess from here anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'm sitting here in Plassey Village, every other pc is accessable from this one(one of the lads that I'm living with).

Mine can see all the other pcs and look at what they have shared, but when I go to copy something it tells me that the device is not accessible, although I know that it is because I can copy stuff from this pc or any other one.

It's strange cos I can send winpopups and recieve them, but it's like only have the network thingies work....also my internet half loads a page..then times out...even thought it has the same configuration as the other pcs/proxies..

is there a prob with the network card or what?....it askes me for some drivers that I don't have...but if I can send and recieve the winpopup stuff then isn't the network card alright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If it's a Novell network then your going to have to log into the server.

AFAIR (It's years since I played with Novell) you can see drives that exist on other servers and you will get that error message if your not logged in.

There should be a drive with the logon command. Use that.

I'm not trying to log onto any server, I'm just on a lan and cannot access other pcs properly...I know all the normal stuff is set up ok....this is a bit of a more advanced prob.

thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

1. Up to date Anti Virus software on problem machine.
    2. Uninstall and reinstall ALL network components on problem machine. Replace Nic if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

emmm,

could it be something to do with your access rights?

Maybe you have the view right, but not modify or write etc.

I got the college IT fellow to come and have a look at it, he says that there is a conflict with the interrupts between my soundcard and network card....so I uninstalled the network and reinstalled it after disabling the soundcard....but to no avail....any ideas?

fixed it by getting a new network card and sound card drivers smile.gif

Advertisement