Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL

• 04-12-2000 4:23pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

spotted this on ie.comp today...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    There's a good article on DSL in this months Comms Today. This is (one of)
    the reasons you don't already have ADSL:

Earlier this year, the Telecoms Regulator, Etain Doyle, forbade eircom from
    using DSL-type technologies until it had an offering available to facilitate
    its competitors to do the same. "We are working on the basis that it would
    be discriminatory to enable them to make use of these enhanced technologies
    and the others couldn't," said Doyle. "They would be in a position to take a
    leading position in the market."

The whole article is here:
    http://www.commstoday.com/November/dsl.html

Ronan
    </font>

and some more snippets if you dont want to read the whole article...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ireland will have DSL within the next six months. It is already available in places such as France, Germany, the UK and the USA. eircom will unveil its rollout plans before Christmas. It is speculated that DSL will be rolled-out from the middle of next year, starting with Dublin. It may be up to five years before the rest of the country has access to the service.</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Efficient DSL rollout goes hand in hand with effective liberalisation and Local Loop Unbundling, which should happen by next January according to an EU regulatory directive. This will allow eircom's competitors, such as the seven other residential operators including Esat and ntl, to access the 'last mile' of copper loop to offer services such as DSL to their customers. Eircom contends that this date is not practically achievable, and is economically and technically unviable...</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Etain Doyle is also worried about social exclusion in Ireland, admitting that some areas will never have DSL access, as they are not geographically suitable. She looks to cable modem operators and wireless broadband providers to offer a solution to this problem....
    Countering the divide between the 'haves' and 'have-nots' in Ireland "is something that we are aware of as an office," she said. "Unbundling the local loop will do a certain amount. But broadband access is not cost free. Where communities are saying 'we do not want masts here', they are opting out. Small communities will be served by radio, but (choosing access) is a decision for a community themselves to make...</font>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's time to start the music.......it's time to light the lights.........It's time to meet the muppets in communications provision/regulation tonight! rolleyes.gif

So eircon weren't allowed to offer a better service than their current crappy monopoly in case they acheived a monopoly? There's some clever people in goverment and no mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im thinking that they are still lying about it . somthings not right yet . anyways anyone know when and by who cable will be delivered into the midlands or when anyone will be offering a 24/7 connection to the net using anything better then a 56k modem ?

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Funny that, I had an Esat rep onto me today who told me that Eircon were allowed introduce DSL services before anyone else. In fact, I brought him up on it - because by all accounts he's talking out of his **** - and he told me about the "licence" Eircon had been granted. There's no such thing. Still don't know why he called me...

> anyways anyone know when and by who cable
    > will be delivered into the midlands
    >
    If you don't have cable there now, you'll be waiting.

> or when anyone will be offering a 24/7
    > connection to the net using anything
    > better then a 56k modem ?
    >
    Now, if you can afford a leased line or wireless connection. Both are expensive, and the latter requires line-of-sight with a base station.

Oh, you mean affordable? Whenever DSL is released. Which will be in January, February, March, April, May or June of next year. Or July. Or August. Or...

Really though, DSL will be released some time in Q1 next year, possibly even into Q2. I don't know exactly when, and anyone who tells you any different is either lying or breaking a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

But when any of us will actually *get* DSL is another matter entirely...

Advertisement