Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENN: Ireland ranks in top networked nations

Options
  • 05-02-2002 12:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

The dearth of conflicting surveys and polls at the moment just gets worse, and more embarassing, by the day.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=5986450

Lies, damn lies and statistics --Benjamin Disraeli

EDIT: Oops, wrong article! :)

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

The researchers drew their data from sources including the World Bank and the International Telecommunications Union and from more than 4,500 questionnaire responses from business and government leaders in the 75 countries.
    In Irish terms, that sounds a bit like O'Rourke and IBEC. Uh oh. [politics]well, I spose it was for the WEF[/politics]

I guess if you do a composite score based on various areas like e-legislation, etc, Ireland is going to score better than many. But I spose that's like giving a car with a missing wheel a score of 3 out of 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

after reading, it seems that ireland scores highly because of its networking readiness/potential, and seems to indicate that the successful local software industry is being held back by the poor infrastructure, much like india and israel.
    ie business is ready for broadband, and is being held back by the lack of it.

maybe its not all lies damned lies and statistics dahamsta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by saik
    maybe its not all lies damned lies and statistics dahamsta :)

From the way it's worded, infrastructure was ranked lowest out of priorities, and so our non-existant infrastructure wouldn't have a massive impact. Surely however, at the core of 'Internet readiness' lies the infrastructure, because without it, there will be no internet, so how can you be ready for it? :confused: Tis all about manipulating statistics to create conflicting 'facts', and as Homer said, 'You can use facts to prove anything'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

i agree, they didn't rate the detrimental effect of poor infrastructure properly. coming ahead of japan is a bit weird.

infrastructure is one of the core issues, but so are the computer skills of the people who the internet would be available to, and the availability of computers. what use would infrastructure be to computer illiterates? without people to use it, there would be no internet. ireland has people to use it, and who are ready for it, in abundance.

ireland has most of these core issues addressed, but unfortunately not infrastructure.

and we do have some internet infrastructure it's just p*ss poor.

Advertisement