Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom FM needs to play more...

Options
  • 05-02-2002 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Elliott Smith. He is, imho, the best songwriter of recent times. I don't hear him enough on the box. Cathal played him a while ago and it just showed how much better he is than a lot of others around today, even our beloved Damien Rice (not that he's not good, don't get me wrong...)

Flaming Lips, Will Oldham, Red House Painters, Magnetic Fields, Whiskeytown and generally, good American indie music... If yr gonna play American music, it may as well be really exciting, not boring sludge like Stain'd and P.O.D. and the rest of the nu-metal ****e. I mean you can say that Phantom is just playing what the audience want, but a few years ago Phantom audience didn't want to hear this utter ****e. I think Phantom has changed a bit cos the nu-metal crowd is a much more marketable brand of "alternative" music to go for, cos they're less discerning, and their taste is ****e. Give them a metal show or three if yr that desperate to cling onto them. Maybe I'm not in touch or anything but if its what the audience wants, the audience's taste has deteriorated. I'm not gonna say its anything to do with getting a licence, cos I would be talking bollox, out of my ass and wouldn't have a clue about the whole scéal, so I'll not mention it. Anymore.

Keep up the good work as regards everything else, especially the new Irish music.

And of course, yeh I know its only my opinion, but I might as well make my feelings heard on my favourite station.

And yes, metallers, bring it on, I know I'm focking right. Y'aul conts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

young ian you talk sense.

phantom seems to have changed its name to dublins no1 rock station from dublins no1 alternative station. or am i wrong?

It should be called the no1 punk/numetal station which is sad. more diversity would be great less pandering to this genre at the expense of others. but its still the best damm station out there...

i'm doin just fine hour to hour note to note

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gouty

"they're less discerning, and their taste is ****e"

People who don't understand the nu-metal and hardcore scene shouldn't try, you guys like moany whine-rock and that's fine but isn't there enough of it about already? No other station other than Phantom IMHO plays consistently exciting music, bands like Limp Bizkit and Stain'd get slagged alot but they've got a fresh energetic attitude not like those nick drake/ elloit smith types singing into their tear-soaked pillows. Those guys have had their day, get over it.

ah the exitement of bringing home my first staind album...i couldn't wait to get home as i read the sleeve from cover to cover on the 46a and........

they suck,nu metal sucks... get J5 if you like hip hop and get the black album if you like your rock with some melody put the two together and you get an answer which is less than the sum of its parts

Nu Metal Pooh Metal it'll be gone from your album collection in 4/5 years time in a way that respective previous generation contemporaries like Nirvana/Metallica/GNR never will.

your muzer was a hamster and yer fazer smelt of elderberries

You absolute ***ing ***t. If you'd been in London last august listening to stain'd playing epiphany you'd understand what's in my head. Go cry somewhere indie ***ker.

Break the Cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

Gonna have to agree with clevenger on this, Nu-metal is a stupid phase that hopefully will be long gone by this time next year. However i'd like to see phantom havea punk show. Real punk, not just Blink 182 or pop-punk crap like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ro7

....I personally think Phantom play very little Nu Metal . I'm not a fan of the Buscuit or Staind ( who aren't really Nu metal ) , but at least it's a doorway for the younger listeners into music . Do you honestly still listen to all the same stuff you did when you were 14 . Probably not , so maybe the Fred fans of today will progress the way others have . Not all Metal is mindless , if you listen to the likes of corrosion of conformity ...the song writing on thir last three albums has been amazing . Plus of course, the first type of music Ryan Adams and Elliot Smith started listenin to and playin was the likes of black flag , black sabbath and bad brains plus a few other heavy waits of rock and punk . Anyway , what I mean is I don't think Phantom are lacking in diversity , I think their the opposite . There are a few I would like to here on Phantom , but rarely do . The best solution for that is to send in a request .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

I've always wondered how you can have a music station with out playing anyFRANK ZAPPA . What i'm trying to say is play more ZAPPA you TURN loving gease monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Young Ian

Originally posted by gouty
    "they're less discerning, and their taste is ****e"

People who don't understand the nu-metal and hardcore scene shouldn't try, you guys like moany whine-rock and that's fine but isn't there enough of it about already? No other station other than Phantom IMHO plays consistently exciting music, bands like Limp Bizkit and Stain'd get slagged alot but they've got a fresh energetic attitude not like those nick drake/ elloit smith types singing into their tear-soaked pillows. Those guys have had their day, get over it.

Sorry, the words "exciting" and "Stain'd" cannot be used in the same sentence. It is poor grammar. Unless of course the sentence is "Stain'd are not exciting."

damm right francie more Zappa

blow it out your ass motorcycle man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

saw staind at reading.
    very good.

there isnt that much nu-mtal played on phantom

personally,some of the 80's indie type jive really...is not to my liking.

as far as pop punk goes?

it should
    ....go,that is....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Young Ian

Yes, and was mentioned, down with pop punk ****e too please. Maybe I'm over stating the presence of nu-metal. Burn it down nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

basicall phantom has its listener base why does'nt it branch out further with its range of music (the morning show playlist can be at times embarassing)

System of a Down
    P.O.D
    OPM
    The hives

god awful really bad (oh linkin park) its just filling a market yet again.

I'd love to hear some Minutemen on pahntom sometime those guys rule oh yeah and Shellac man some of their songs would never seem out of place on phantom.

Well whatever i just wish instead of playing gigantic and whereis my mind again and again by the pixies they might select the more obscure track.

Oh yeah i can't remember the last time i ever heard sonic youth on phantom or how about some pavement early stuff oh who cares its your station do what you want

knickers in a twist,muffy?

christ it's not perfect,the only thing thats perfect is our world where we're the dictator,eh RAGGY?

but yeah,i agree bout the whole pixies thing;because i think that trompe le monde is a FANTASTIC album;i prefer it to the "best of"

the morning show...I LOVE.
    it's most reliably going to be good-with the odd tripe...
    *the hives dont j!ve,tho i like main offender*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by ro7
    ....I personally think Phantom play very little Nu Metal

imo, it's not that phantom play too much nu metal, it's just that they play any at all ... but of course, you can't dictate what you want to hear played bcos then someone would complain about the music again. and phantom have to keep an eye on listener figures for the next time that radio licence thingy comes around.

gar? you like trompe le monde better than the best of??? that's mad, you must be a true fan. although i would agree re the playing of gigantic or debaser (where is my mind is a song i'd never tire of ... has certain memories attached to it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pff... Don't bother playing any nu-metal what so ever.
    It's an insult as to what metal really is.

There are bands in Metal doing some truly amazing and original things, and I can tell you, it's not Limp Bizkit!

Phantom should play something deep, emotional, complex and intelligent like Opeth.
    Not Stain'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Raggamuffin, I reckon that for once you should leave aside your "look-at-me-I'm-so-damn-alternative-and-different-it-hurts" attitude. Lumping System of a Down and the Hives in along with the whole pathetic nu-metal genre just proves your musical ignorance and snobbishness.

when are you ever gonna get it into your thickskull that just because you like certain bands it does'nt mean you like them simply because there're different, you know they just might be good.

I like my music i'm notntrying to be different if you think i am then thats your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

My problem doesn't lie with your choice of music Raggamuffin. Of course you can listen to whatever the hell you want - I don't really give a toss to be quite honest! All I'm saying is (and this has been said on several occasions before) that you always seem to go out of your way to be seen as alternative/different/whatever, very often making ridiculous statements to try and back yourself up, and in doing so, constantly contradict yourself! That simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Not enough, if any of Neil Young, Van Morrison and the likes....

dude;take a chill pill,your acting like a bloody fool.
    the bloody angism floating around here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i dont have trompe le monde or the best of but i prefer doolittle to surfer rosa if that means anyhting, oh and come on pilgrim was also better too, (apart from caribou and where is my mind). but i owuld never have bought doolittle if i hadnt heard "i bleed" on tom e browns show. and they also had the song that goes "i love you" a lot on one of their adds. so i dont think they play the same songs over and over again, and if that does tend to happen, thats because people keep ringing them in because they like hearing it again and again... (im not guilty...i swear....errmmm)

oh yeah
    elliot smith is good too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Yes! OPETH! I've given up requesting them! But made up for it at the show! :) And the mellow industral-esque experimental style of Einstürzende Neubauten would not go amiss!

As far as listening to music for years go, The S.Pumpkins've been my fave band since just before my 11th birthday, I'm now almost 18 and they're still there at the top! So unfortunately it looks like nu metal crap might have a life in the minds of little mini-rockers, if my love of the Pumpkins can last, perhaps their 'love' of **** can too, but **** em, let them pollute their minds and ears with low quality crap, they say the same about everything they don't like, like everyone else (as i just demonstrated with'NU METAL SUCKS', but each to their own). If only it didn't have to be like this ;)
    Once they don't pollute OZZFEST with poor quality repetitive guitar riffs and druming even I could do I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY DO!

BTW:
    like Limp Bizkit and Stain'd get slagged alot but they've got a fresh energetic attitude
    Limp Bizkit HAD their day, when 3 dollar bill y'all was fresh!
    Those guys have had their day, get over it.

I bid you farewell.

yeah,there is a designated metal show on some night,that probly does play opeth,cannibal corpse...emperor..pick your fave...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Cannibal Corpse, eewwwwwwww!!!!! Sowee! They've never played Opeth, well not when I ever requested or was listening...! :p

Stain'd still suck, Odd that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

Need to play Obsolete. Pete did you get the demo yet?????????????????

Always "seem" to do that.

I used to have a radio show and i know what i used to play.

its that simple

Who in the what now?

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Yes! OPETH! I've given up requesting them! But made up for it at the show!

I'm listening to Novembre right now.
    Got hooked on them after seeing them supporting Opeth and Katatonia.

Phantom could do well playing a little Katatonia too. They're fantastic.

I will definetly say that Cannibal Corpse wouldn't quite suit my pallete, but better than nothing, I guess?

And a bit of Anathema wouldn't hurt, would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 velouria

people are getting very angry its the first time i've seen mini- rockers and people with sense lock horns and have it out. I'm just surprised the they(mini-rockers) actually have an opinion that isn't entirely parrotes from slipknot/fred/korn etc. but saying s.o.a.d are bad?? that is a henious crime..... listen to the first album its fantastic and most people have only heard chop suey and they judge too quickly.... but they only have that single on phantom so what can you expect....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by velouria
    but saying s.o.a.d are bad?? that is a henious crime..... listen to the first album its fantastic and most people have only heard chop suey and they judge too quickly.... but they only have that single on phantom so what can you expect....

I've heard both SOAD albums.

The only decent thing they've ever done was a cover of Snowblind.

Advertisement