Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Irish bands

Options
  • 05-02-2002 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Can anyone name more than five around at the minute? excluding your own of course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

GigSmart is the best answer to your question... loadsa kick ass mp3's by loadsa kick ass irish bands!!! go go go!

Seán.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Estel, Dudley, Future Kings of Spain and if you count bands from the north..desert hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Uncle Neddy

Melaton, Dudley Corporation, La Rocca, Bellx1, Creative Control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭manofspeed

Speedman, The Crayonz, Sixdown, Skyjack...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

The Frames
    Melaton
    Turn
    Throat
    BellX1
    Label

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

The keds
    Mixtwitch
    National Prayer Breakfast
    Superskin
    The Revs (they are still an irish band even if not everyone likes them.............. well they're better then six!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

evil...
    do you really think that mixtwitch are a good band?
    better than...well ...one or two that i can think of..
    i'm not going to go on a band bashing spree,i'm just surprised that you think that NOFX..sorry mixtwitch are that good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

The Frames
    Bell X1
    Arch Stanton
    STAND (nyc)
    The Prayer Boat
    Mr North (nyc)
    Dudley Corporation

hmm more in my signature link but that is 7 class bands

for the record I think gigsmart is a really cool idea - the bands i have heard from there are all pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 claire.2

great Irish bands:

The Revs
    Bellx1
    Quincey
    The Marbles
    The Frames
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Skindive
    Promordial
    Diptheria
    Mael Mordha
    fuctifino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 poison3

i think WILT deffinately deserve a mention:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Wilt, as in ' I can't believe it's not Sugar' ?
    Bellx1 who admitted taking binoculars to a Radiohead gig so they could 'scope out' their equipment?
    The Keds? Ohh sweet jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Nobody's mentioned the Jimmycake or Joan of Arse yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

not surprised that they took binoc's to radioheads gear,they haven't got even one original thought in their own music so might as well rip off the most innovative.

still if your gonna steal,might as well be from the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gero

Brilliant trees
    The Frames
    Blink
    Brando
    Wilt
    You find find five better bands than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by clevenger
    not surprised that they took binoc's to radioheads gear,they haven't got even one original thought in their own music so might as well rip off the most innovative.

still if your gonna steal,might as well be from the best.

Huh? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gouty

Thinks he's talking about Bell X-1. Which incidentally aren't THAT dull, just a bit dull. My favourite Irish bands:

The Jimmy Cake
    Redneck Manifesto

Erm that's it for me i think. As a rule i consider all Irish music unoriginal crap. These are the only two bands about at the minute with the slightest hint of conviction.

Of course, our No1 alternative music station play neither...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Any of you ever hear of a band called Plan Nine?

Bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Crowe

.......you sound like a fool, an ignorant fool.......as a rule you consider all irish music unoriginal crap???? well isnt that an open minded attitude.....you obviously havent heard much new irish music, and you consider The Jimmy Cake and Redneck manifesto to be the only two bands with the slightest bit of conviction???? you cant honestly tell me you think the frames lack conviction, like 'em or not you must see that they have, if nothing else, conviction. I dont have anything against against The Jimmy Cake or Redneck Manifest, though i find the latter to be a bit dull, as you might say, but there are certainly better bands around, melaton for one, the frames, paradox(cork), otranome, Npb, Bellx1, kashmere soul.......and i could go on, just look at the amount of fresh talent in gigsmart alone.

and may i also say this, maybe you should change your attitude towards the irish music scene as a whole, instead of knocking practically every irish band you've heard bar two, you should at least appreciate the fact that there are hundreds of young bands out there picking up guitars, putting pen to paper and pouring their hearts and souls into what they love, music.....and even if its not to your particular liking give them a chance to get better.....jimmy page didnt write stairway to heaven when he was 17

peace&love
    mr crow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

The Brilliant Trees...are they still on the go...I remember they had two class singles out years ago..."Heartstrings" and something else.

Gero...is that Heartstrings song floating around on MP3 anywhere? I'd love to hear it again.

i was refering to a post just b4 the one b4 mine lolo. if that is your real name.

hands up who hates gouty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

dont spread hate;just cleanse your mind of ignorance and open the doors of your soul and see what comes in;
    by that i mean actaually listen to bands;dont just bad mouth them.

e.g.
    i once saw ,on tv,five-the pop group-play a song and,my God,the bass was so funky!
    it was brilliant;i overcame my prejudeice and it made my life that bit beta for a moment.
    gouty,go and actually LISTEN to irish bands GO TO THE GIGSMART GIGS,you know ?

how can you judge all bands when you havent heard them;
    and dont say that you do;because it's evident that you dont

Quit spreadin the love Gar, okay? Quit spreadin the love. And really, there was ABSOLUTELY no need for you to share your unrequited love of pop combos with us. That was bang out of order.

If there was more people like me and less like Gar, this message board would be a whole lot more interesting.

Mr Crowe, all those bands you mentioned are OKAY. they're fine. I don't mind listening to them occasionally but you won't find them in my record collection. Same goes for Destiny's Child.

As for "hundreds of young bands out there picking up guitars and pouring their hearts out"- that's great! I can't think of a better incentive to start up a band than being surrounded by a third rate music industry.

Yours Sincerely

Gouty

i agree with his goutness

there are plenty of good irish bands out there just not enough great ones. they all do front crawl no one's brave enough to try butterfly or backstroke.

i feel i know the man on mir

wow.lyrical genius he speaks like y'know right to my soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Just briefly Gouty,

Please stop making false assertions. Latest one regards Redneck Manifesto. Untrue. Add this to the catalogue of false assertions along with the David Kitt, 60s 70s and 80s show, djs not playing stuff they don't know etc. Its so easy to come up with that truthless rubbish, a lot more difficult to research facts, and be willing to debate them rather than just posting "I hate you all". Lazy at best.

Would take a better person to withdraw untruths. Are you that person Gouty? Are you?

Regards,

Pete Reed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by Mr Crowe

you should at least appreciate the fact that there are hundreds of young bands out there picking up guitars, putting pen to paper and pouring their hearts and souls into what they love, music.....

nicely put MrCrowe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

Going back to the original discussion:

Turn

Wilt

Brando

Therapy?

Otranome (even if I am slightly biased) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

yeah, it's great that there's so many people picking up guitars and starting up bands and so on and of course jimmy page didn't write stairway to heaven (yawn) when he was 17, but i think there is a startling lack of originality on the irish music scene. alot of the time it's usually tired retro boring indie-rock. you can't make alot of comparisons between most of the bands mentioned on this thread and a random pick of scottish/welsh (to a point) or english bands.

but of course saying that gets people very very angry, apparently.

Advertisement