Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL What price would you pay?

Options
  • 05-02-2002 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I just wan to know what people would be willing to pay

i would pay €60 a month for an UNCAPPED service. this is 2x what ntl are charging!

i am sure €ircom look here so lets tell em what price would get loads of buyers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

€60 would be fine if they didn't charge a kings ransom for going over the download limit :/
    Even still - I think everyone should have free DSL with free installation, a good-will gesture from eircum after they've been robbing us blind with phone bills for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

was it €100 they are trying to charge?

i'd pay that if it was uncapped.

of course i'd prefer it alot cheaper, but if thats the price then i'd pay it. of course if it stays capped at that price then eircom can go take a jump off a bridge

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'd be willing to pay €50 uncapped. Hopefully this would drop as other DSL services come available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

I would pay €50-€80 for capped IF the was only a very small charge for going over it ( and it was a BIG cap :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

€90 - €125 uncapped ..... then again, I just can't get Adsl, I'm going to have to wait til Radsl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

€60 - €80 pm, uncapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Have a read of http://slashdot.org/articles/02/02/05/0346208.shtml , which contains many complaints about US & Canadian DSL fees, and just as many arguments as to why low monthly + uncapped = not economically viable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

You can have my answer now if you like. My offer is this -- nothing. Not even the fee for the .... license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.

- Michael Corleone, Godfather II

(I thought it was apt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

In that slashdot article they're complaining about unlimited broadband at 80 Canadian dollars. That's EUR 57 or in the old money IEP 44. Thats the price they regard as profitable.

The people responding to this thread are generally prepared to spend far more than the worldwide average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For uncapped €50 for but whats the current cap?
    I guess €40 for anything less.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    In that slashdot article they're complaining about unlimited broadband at 80 Canadian dollars. That's EUR 57 or in the old money IEP 44. Thats the price they regard as profitable.

The people responding to this thread are generally prepared to spend far more than the worldwide average

My point wasn't so much what the americans and canadians are paying for DSL or cable, it was more trying to highlight what seems to be a hefty dose of realism coming from some of the slashdotters about the long term feasibility of current broadband pricing models.

sorry if i wasn't clear about that

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

as far as eye can tell, i think eircom are planning to cap it at a mere 3Gb a month :(((

personally i would love to get adsl and would think a price of 40-50euros a month would be fair for uncapped, but if it stays capped, then forget it, my trusty 56k modem will suffice for another few years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

American's and canadian's shouldn't be complaining about such high prices, when over here we'd be more than willing to pay an arm and a leg for such cheap DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

um

eircom i-stream enhanced
    1Mbps downstream/256kbps upstream
    Connection fee is E125 (IR£98.45) excl. VAT - Monthly fee is E228 (IR£179.57) excl. VAT.
    For eircom i-stream enhanced there is unlimited monthly download allowance.**

**There is an additional charge of 2.36p (3 cent) ex VAT per MB for material downloaded over and above the stated monthly allowance.

I think I'd pay half of that .... and half again for half the 512/128 , so whats that ... 57 euro Excl. vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Seen as it isn't currently commerically viable under Eircoms rule... What with them tieing up all the Local exchanges from competition... And of course their favourite Real excuse... Economies of Scale, I think the government should be subsidising ADSL and CABLE network infrastructure seen as we r all just ****e at it and u can't leave a private company to invest in an area such as ireland were there really is only room for ONE broadband supplier of the infrastructure(FRIACO comes to mind)... ...

I would only pay €40 a month uncapped with a d/l speed of min 512 kb/s.... Installation should not exist.... U just have to buy(not rent) the modem....

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

I'd pay probably €60 max for 256k, 24/7. uncapped.

My priority is 24/7 not really the speed though... (whole other arguement, as we've seen :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 emmet

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    .. And of course their favourite Real excuse... Economies of Scale, I think the government should be subsidising ADSL...

I'm not trying to defend Eircon (perish the thought), but it would be unrealistic to expect to get telecommunications services in Ireland for the same price as our friends across the pond precisely because of economies of scale. It is a valid concept.

What definitely is a problem is that Eircon have used this argument to defend charging us 25 times the US cost per unit bandwidth, although now now we're only being screwed by a factor of 12 or so.

Actually, I think that they have overused this to such an extent that people are tired of hearing it, and their doing themselves more harm than good by continuing to use this argument. Chaos-Engine's post illustrates perfectly that Eircon have succeeded in conferring "hoary old chestnut" status on the term "economies of scale" in relation to telecommunications in Ireland.

In short, IMHO, we should accept the "economies of scale" argument up to a factor of, at maximum, two. Equally, we should continue to protest at it being used to defend daylight robbery whether it's Eircon, Esat, or whoever.

Emmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I'd pay €60 - €90 for 512/128k ADSL right now.

I'd pay €50 a month for 24/7 dialup though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

€40 + vat per month UNCAPPED.

If they cap it, they can keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

suppose i'd pay between 100-120pm but then again i'm a sucker and realistically would only pay 60pm if I had more sense.

Oh yeah, and if they cap it... no matter what speed or price it's at, they can keep it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Remove that in case Eircom is reading!

Don't want them to say, "but people want to pay this.."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

€60 per month for 512K/128k
    €80-90 per month for 1MB/256K

UPCAPPED.

Anything else is a rip off.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

€60 inc. Vat per month for 512K/128k uncapped.

That's it. Anything else is a rip-off on top of the existing cost of line rental.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

€50 (€60 MAX) per month for 512K/128k with HIGH CAP (10GB min)

Otherwise I will get myself some wireless kit and join up with the lads at www.irishwan.org .

If that happens eircom can shove their line rental up their ass for nothin!

And I'm a Webdesigner, my parents/brothers/sister would laugh at being asked to pay €50 per month!

Forgot to mention I'm on the ADSL trial - it's great but I can do without it if it's above €60 incl vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

€50 Inc VAT Max for uncapped 512k/128k.

I will not pay any rip-off price, €ircoN want €130.....they will not get that amount of me....i will only pay the same rates as anyone else in Europe, no more !!
    I got rid of my isdn at home, no internet access from home anymore, so i will wait as long as it takes until affordable broadband comes !!
    No more high bills for me !

end of rant...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I'e had the trial now (512/128) since start of January, and after that length of time I've decided I'd keep it on only if:

1. E50 per month or less incl. VAT

2. One way or the other, there's almost certainly going to be a cap, but at least try to make it realistic Eircom...something like 10gig cap, 10 quid a gigabyte after that or something.

On the other hand, a 256/128 (or even something nuts like 128/128) would be nice if it was priced nicely...Speed isn't the most importent factor for me, the fact that you can stay connected for days (with a solid connection) without the family going mental for the phoneline, is :)

Cheers,
    Lamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

cause i'm in a bad mood atm, €40 uncapped. DSL sucks though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'd pay E40 (or there abouts) for DSL with a reasonable cap (ie. 10gb) AND/OR reasonable additional costs (ie. £10 per extra GB or something).

I'd pay E50/60 for uncapped.

Speed is a bit of a factor, but 24/7 AND not having the family moaning about the phoneline every 5 seconds would be a HUGE plus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

€50 - €60 inc. Vat per month for 512K/128k uncapped.

If they want to cap it, make it around 10 Gigs

Otherwise they can stuff it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

After using it for a long time now, i think that EUR60 for the 512 solo option is a decent price. What they are intending to charge certainly is NOT.

As to the cap. People seem to be freaking out about it. Its not that bad....really. Ive had DSL since August and ive only been over the cap twice and on neither occasion did i get anywhere near 10 gigs.

the 3 gig cap is pretty low, but if im being perfectly honest, a 5 gig cap would be grand for me anyway.

Advertisement