Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL What price would you pay?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Coyote
    As a point I will be paying for the full 1mb uncapped ADSL my company do over 1GB a day so paying €12.70 per GB would cost me €140 for the capped DSL line and €350 for the bandwidth. Where if I buy the uncapped DSL it’s just €250 as Eircom prices are set right now.
    With luck they will come down and set a proper cap of about 10-15GB per month

Shouldnt this thread be directed at home users ?
    The avg home user would not afford €250/mnth, like a flippin mortgage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Coyote
    It's not the cap that is the problem is the price that Eircom are trying to charge for each GB after that it's £10 if I remember right per GB which is just made up out of the air it has not real bearing on the real price of bandwidth.

£10GB?? gotta be joking. Those miserable gits were looking for circa £30 (yes .. that's '£' not Euros last I checked - 2.4p per 1mb (+VAT) - )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by pete

So that's it then, is it? Have we entered the realm of "Give me uncapped broadband or give me death"? Any cap automatically equates to a "sub standard" service?

edit: reply posted before additions to original post. I'm talking about why people feel they're automatically entitled to an unlimited service, not any specific service provider.

No we're not entitled to anything except a fair deal. €99 per month + a 3GB cap is hardly a fair deal compared to services on offer worldwide now is it? And if we are to accept that this is the best we can hope for, what's the point in having an organisation like Ireland Off Line? Let's just disband now and continue to be bled dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Pie - i think you're missing my point.

What i have a problem with is people turning around and saying that they want unlimited data transfer for €50 like it's some sort of birthright without giving any thought to how that could be economically viable and sustainable in the long term for whatever service provider offers it.

I've never said that i think what eircom want to charge is fair. As it happens, I don't. I think it's extortionate. But what you or I think is 'fair' isn't going to have much of an impact on pricing structures.

But anyway, we're going around in circles here - and the fact is, NTL offering uncapped 512k for €35 drives a bus right through my argument ;)

I've never said that i think what eircom want to charge is fair. As it happens, I don't. I think it's extortionate. But what you or I think is 'fair' isn't going to have much of an impact on pricing structures.

Isn't that the purpose of Ireland Off Line? (Or one of them.)
    But anyway, we're going around in circles here - and the fact is, NTL offering uncapped 512k for €35 drives a bus right through my argument :)
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Now here's what I don't get - bandwidth does cost money, doesn't it? It's not like it's some unlimited resource, so why shouldn't we have to pay for it?

What annoys me about a cap like eircom are proposing/using at the moment is not that i have to pay for what i use, its that im paying for more than i use.

Take, for example, a 512/256k adsl offering with a 3GB cap from eircom. Iirc, its retailing for ~ €120/month (unsure wether thats inc/ex VAT...) Now, first of all you pay eircom to install all the equipment - thats fine, you cant expect them to pay for you by and large ;). Next, you pay eircom a subscription fee for the use of the DSL line, and the services it is offering over it. This means your paying for the rent of the phyiscal plant - eg the port on the DSLAM in the exchange, the equipment at your end, eircoms ATM network etc etc etc. It also means your paying for the service of the line - eg your connection into the internet through eircom servers etc etc.

Of course, bandwidth costs money. So, what eircom should be obliged to do is to sell on bandwidth that users use at cost. You are already paying for the service entirely with your monthly subscription. When eircom charges €30/GB if you exceed the cap, you are paying for the privalege of using a service you have already paid for in your subscription! If eircom decided to set a cap of, say, 3GB/month - or even something silly like 500megs/month - and then charge for excess bandwidth usage at cost, so that eircom do not make any profit on this suplemental payment and hence decrease the end price to the users, i would have no problem at all. It would also work out a lot cheaper for users, as wholesale bandwidth costs pittence. Each user would be paying for exactly what they use, no more and no less. This would mean that no matter how much bandwidth a customer used, eircom would not be out of pocket.

Of course, with a cap on the connection, the monthly rental should be a lot lower. I dont believe for a second that it costs eircom any major proportion of the monthly rental to actually run the line, as the only possible excess expense - users using large amount of bandwidth - is totally out of the equation because their paying for that bandwidth. If there is a cap on the line, taking into account the argument of ireland being so sparsely populated and hence dsl services costing more on average that most other places in europe, i think a fair base monthly charge of €45 should definetly be workable - perhaps less, considering that eircom will not be paying for much (on average) of the users end bandwidth consumption for the month.

In the end, customers get a fair price for services that they use. Eircom still get the profit from the monthly subscription. Everyone is happy.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I would pay €60 for DSL provided it's uncapped. I would pay it for 256k just for the privilege of not tying up the phoneline and having 24/7 net access with pretty good download speeds:p

Would unmetered ISDN be viable? I don't see it mentioned anywhere

No, afaik ISDN needs a new special line whereas DSL runs over normal copper lines. I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

At the moment I pay £300 to £400+ every 2 months to Eircom for ISDN access. I would be willing to pay anything less for such faster, uncapped access. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Originally posted by PiE
    No, afaik ISDN needs a new special line whereas DSL runs over normal copper lines. I think...
    I was at home when the Eircom guys installed my ISDN line and I watched them closely. All they seem to have done was use the same existing copper line/s, but put a much higher voltage through it? I just tested it with a Volt meter and its registering 92V?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I think if Eircom want to make a descent profit outta DSL, they should charge é35 a month, with a cap of like 10gigs. At that price a lot of casual internet users would get it. The current pricing is just unintellegent, because they are only getting a fraction of their potential customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Since the question is what would I pay, not what would I like to pay....I'd go €100 Inc VAT max, uncapped. This is less than what I'm currently paying for 56k.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

I would be willing to pay a maximum of €100 per month uncapped, and maximum of €50 capped. Anymore, and Eircon can shove it up........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I would pay about 50 euro, uncapped.....well download limit uncapped..... :D i dont mind upload :)

And thats it......if its capped......about 30euro....

Im still on IOL no Limits :D never got kicked off, so as for the discontinuation....well.....it aint entirely true, but it still sucks, and i want this Local Loop and stuff unbundled ASAP, im really gettin fed up with my 56k

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by TouchingVirus

And thats it......if its capped......about 30euro....

Im still on IOL no Limits :D

You are a moron.

You think that ADSL , a service with of a speed TEN times that of 56k should be offered for the SAME amount as you are currently paying for No Limits?

Looking at some of the replies here, I really think some people need to cop the hell on about what is and what isnt achievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Dustaz
    You are a moron.
    I think that's unfair. The title of the thread was "ADSL What price would you pay?". When people say they are willing to pay x amount, they don't necessarilly mean that they expect to be offered it at that price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What SkepticOne said Dustaz. I don't come into your forum and call your members morons, do I? C'mon, you're better than that.

adam

Apologies if i was blunt.
    Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I think that's unfair. The title of the thread was "ADSL What price would you pay?". When people say they are willing to pay x amount, they don't necessarilly mean that they expect to be offered it at that price.

Sorry, but i dont think i see anyone posting replies like "Id pay a pound a year for it tbh" which is what price we'd all like to pay for it.
    Saying that all youd be willing to pay is 30 euro is like saying: "I WAENT A YAWT IN TEH SUOTH SEES AND NOT PAY TAXES EVAR." Lovely idea, but it aint never gonna happen.

This is not the after hours forum, there has got to be some form of realistic perspective about wants and needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sorry, but i dont think i see anyone posting replies like "Id pay a pound a year for it tbh" which is what price we'd all like to pay for it.

I would not want to pay £1/year for it, because the service wouldnt last beyond a month. If it was a capped service, I would like to pay €30/month and then pay for excess bandwidth used at cost. I explained this in detail in my last post to this thread.
    This is not the after hours forum, there has got to be some form of realistic perspective about wants and needs.
    It is realistic. Entirely so, for a capped service with charges on bandwidth usage which is what touchingvirus was refering to.

Just because you dont agree does not give you the right to shout someone else down, or start to act like a muppet and call names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Saying that all youd be willing to pay is 30 euro is like saying: "I WAENT A YAWT IN TEH SUOTH SEES AND NOT PAY TAXES EVAR." Lovely idea, but it aint never gonna happen.
    Yes, but that, again, is not what was being asked. The question was "How much would you pay?" Not "How much would you like to pay?". Obviously we'd all like to pay as little as possible.

I have friends who would not pay more than £20 a month for any sort of Internet access. You can describe broadband and the benefits of it till the cows come home and they are not interested unless it is less than £20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I would pay €50 a month but with a bigger cap of 10Gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fooger

€60 seems to be fair for an uncapped service but I don’t think I would like any capped service at all.

Originally posted by Moriarty

Just because you dont agree does not give you the right to shout someone else down, or start to act like a muppet and call names.
    Its nothing to do with agreeing. Its very simple. we are NOT going to see a broadband service from eircom (or esat for that matter) for 30 euro a bloody month. Its absolutly pointless to say that that is what you would like to pay or want to pay.

I have lots of mates who wouldnt pay a tenner a month for any sort of internet access too. We all do. This is why broadband is a niche market. The people who are quoting very low prices are the same people bemoaning the fact that we dont have broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Most ppl in this forum and members of IrelandOffline wont have broadband before 20(some decades here)0, even if it was only €30 and uncapped.

If you want DSL/Cable then move to Dublin, its that easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

I would pay €90 incl. Vat, I think this is a reasonable monthly fee for the service you get (the 512/128k).

The instalation and modem costs are rediculous. Do they charge that ammount to have a telephone splitter installed? The engineer that came to my place, did exactly that, it took him 5 mins, *I* installed the software and when there was a problem (because I had upgraded to XP) he had ZERO idea what to do. Which was fine by me, I certainly didnt want him messing with my machine. So basically he put in a new point box in the hall, thats NOT worth the price they charge.

As for the cap, its too low, despite what some peoplee here have said. 3GB is fine if you ONLY connect your "always on" service when you need it. I have the trial since Jan and if you leave it connected it is CONSTANTLY sending/recieving as you would expect on any network, especially if you use any IM software. THIS MOUNTS UP! I easily hit the 3GB limit JUST from being connected and playing online games, add any downloads you make to that and you would be paying thru the nose in no time.

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'd pay €0 to €80 a month for uncapped or really big capped access :)

how do i type the euro sign (i cheated and copied and pasted) does it have an ascii code?

Advertisement