Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems

• 05-02-2002 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I've had a US robotics 33k sportster for ages now and i want a new 56k modem but in compustore there €120 - 150. So i was think of getting one online instead so whats a good site and what brand would be good and cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

IT Direct on Parliment ST usually have a good cheap Win modem .. LT Win modem is ok chipset. good for browsing, but games .. thats the problem with winmodems.

So if your budget goes far enough your better with a hardware modem.

PS The beast modem I ever had, US Robotics 56k faxmodem external. (pricey tho)

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I'll say this once.

The Sportster 33600 Winmodem is just that a winmodem, therefore sub-defacto hence and by extrapilation you can simply upgrade the drivers for it to make it a sportster 56k. It has been said ok? Check out
    www.gateway.com and go get the driver for the USR 56k winmodem, it should work just fine with your controllerless and hence upgradeable modem. Thus if modems are ever made to go faster over the current lines and people start selling 64k analog winmodems, you will be able to upgrade your sportster to a 64k analog and so on ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Xterminator
    LT Win modem is ok chipset. good for browsing, but games .. thats the problem with winmodems.

then why do I get 180 or better ping with mine connecting at 31200bps?
    I manage a better download rate then some people connecting at 44K+
    The Lucent is not one of those abysmal HSF thgines.
    Has a hardware DSP, like TypeDef said it's performance is dependent on drivers and available cpu cycles.
    I had an external serial Cirrus ogic 56K. Got 25oms. An increase of 70ms.
    Fair enough it was a Cirrus, but just goes to show that just cos it's hardware doesn't mean it's any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i was looking at buying a pci modem, to replace my sold off isa one, from tekheads.co.uk. The modem is desribed only as "Generic 56k PCI Hardware Modem" and costs ster£14.04.

its a hareware modem but is it more than likely a load of sh1te cause its so cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

no joke.. check the brown box selection in PC world.. cheaper parts there than at the wholesalers... modems for €17 and crazy stuff like that.. though if your serious get a hardware modem.. i have an external 3com.. brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by SyxPak
    I manage a better download rate then some people connecting at 44K+
    If you're talking about the "Connected at" speed shown in Windows, remember this is just the speed the modem negotiated at the start of the connection. This speed is renegotiated several times during the connection, but is not reflected in the Windows dialogue.

Advertisement