Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS DOS memory management for Win98

• 05-12-2000 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to run an old MS DOS prog which used to run in Win98, now I get the error 'you must have at least 1024k of expanded memory' - when i checked the memory tab in the properties of the .exe it says 'the computer is not configured for expanded memory in MS DOS sessions'

Clicking on Details gives 'Third party memory management software has not been configured for expanded memory. Consult the documentation to enable expanded memory'.

Now I'm not aware of any third party memory software on the comp, and this problem has only arisen today - previously I have been able to run this and other programs without any of this guff about expanded memory or the computer not being configured.

Any ideas? Or anyone know of a memory manager I could d/l or use to get around this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

It's been a while since I needed to screw around with the whole XMS/EMS memory thing, but as far as I can remember you need to but EMM386.EXE into your config.sys (or it might be the autoexec.bat...) which is an expanded memory emulator. You'll need HIMEM.SYS loaded in the config.sys, and the /RAM switch of EMM386 does something too.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but we all remember those countless hours trying to squeeze an extra 10k of conventional memory out of our machines to run that new game, only to have to spend another hour getting the extended/expanded memory thing right.

Doubtless there'll be someone else whose memory is a bit fresher than mine. (Gotta stop smokin those funny cigarettes...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In Autoexec.bat

C:\windows98\EMM386.EXE

in config.sys

DEVICEHIGH=C:\windows98\himem.sys
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\windows98\EMM386.EXE RAM
    DOS=HIGH,UMB

You can't use the Dos versions in Windows98. Those are the settings I use to run games which need XMS/EMS in DOS.

You may also need to run the program in Pure DOS, you can set that up in the pif properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thanks guys, I'll try those out and see what happens.

Advertisement