Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange keyboard/mouse problem

• 05-12-2000 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I'm getting this problem too, but I figured it was because I was running Windows 95. What sound card are you using? Does the sound start stuttering/looping & the whole game crashes, or does the game keep running and you just lose control?

If the game keeps running then try unplugging the keyboard & mouse and plugging them back in again, that works for me (although I only have the problem with my keyboard).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I used to get that on my old 'puter. Plugging the mouse out and in (using the USB port - apparantly you're not supposed to connect/disconnect PS/2 devices while the PC is on) seemed to do the trick with the mouse. Thankfully the keyboard problem only happened a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Thats happening to me at least once during every gaming session of CS. When it happens to me, the controls lock and then i keep going in the direction i was last heading. Its the most anoying thing ever. But its just the controls that freeze and u either wait to be killed or restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah thats exactly the problem I have - the game keeps going fine around me, I just have no control whatsoever. I just keep moving in the last direction i was going before control was lost. Being killed etc seems to make no difference.

- Munch
    gibskull2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've had this problem for a while now... When playing Half-Life (or any of its mods), my controls seem to freeze at random times with no way to regain control besides doing a cold boot. Its happened occasionally in Quake3 as well, but not as much as in HL. I have Win98 and DirectX 8. I had the same problem under DX7. The keyboard and mouse in question are both PS/2. The mouse is an M$ Intellimouse.

Thanks for any help...

- Munch
    gibskull2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

So it keeps happening even if you're killed....Images of Munch's corpse walking into walls..
    It's obvious then, you are in fact the undead. And, since the undead are well known for their inability to use these peripherals (Have you ever seen a vampire use a keyboard? Be honest now....) that's your problem.
    Simple.

or.
    Can you borrow a USB version of either type to try hot plugging it in when this happens as was suggested? To see is it the entire control system, or just the PS/2 controller that's gone belly up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Sounds like a dod*** PC there Munch. I would get onto the chap that flogged it to you ASAP demanding your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

dod*** up there is dodg3y - fvcking censors on this board are stupid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's spelt 'dodgy' anyway ??

I used to get that problem with Q3 beta in college, seems to be sorted out now. I do sometimes have the mouse ****ing up on me though - in QW and CS sometimes the mouse is stupidly jerky, like it's sampling twice a second or something, sometimes turning the wrong way, like the X axis got inverted somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I forgot it censors 'f3ck'. That is fairly sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

He's an actor...so Obviously he's just pretending to use them, using a hand/mouse double. It's all smoke and mirrors you know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

higly technical converstaion here biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    So it keeps happening even if you're killed....Images of Munch's corpse walking into walls..
    </font>

Smart ar$e, he means when u respawn u just end up running straight into a wall/corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

angel the vampire (originally from buffy the vampire slayer (who obviously did not slew angel the vampire (since he is still undead))) often breaks into the library late at night for a bit of selfish bandwidth hogging fragfests

[This message has been edited by Baz_ (edited 06-12-2000).]

Advertisement