Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etien Doyle's speach at First Tuesday

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I think the underlying impression his post gave was that broadband should be dropped from the agenda. In my reply I disagreed with this for a simple reason if we don’t shout now it will be more like twenty years(at present the government is listening chortle) before we see broadband for all in Ireland if ever. I agree that the flick of this so called switch would be a major boost at this time but if you beg for scups, scraps is what you will get. The whole point of broadband is that it will allow people to really find out how useful internet access is rather than getting bored after 15 minutes of waiting for pages to load and not coming back. Look at the big picture the rest of the world has Broadband and to make their sites stand out flash front ends animated links act are becoming the norm. I know how useful the net is and still I get bored or sick of dodging flash sites just because I have too. It comes down to the age old chicken and egg situation if you don’t have a good connection the net is a slow uninteresting place where people just wont bother to go if they don’t go their is no money in it for Eircom so they will hang on and milk those who are forced to use their poxy service. So do you believe that unmetered access will induce more customers or do you believe a decent connection will bring in more users? Even if we get unmetered the next step would be for eircom to raise its line rental and extras mark my words the devil doesn’t die easy.

Stone

I fancy getting the latest Medal of honor demo reckon ill go download it now oooops silly me im on 56k i think ill wait until i can get it off a mag at €9 it will be cheaper and quicker.

aaahhhhh what a life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ill echo Stonemasons point.
    FRIACO is very important and it should be persued. We all know that we are a backwards country when it comes to internet access simply because there is no flat rate access. This is not news. This is why IOFFL was set up.

However, the reason that the Broadband goal is in there (and this is only my understanding of it) is because it is EQUALLY important. We are getting to the stage now where it is EQUALLY ridiculous that there is NO COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE broadband outside 3 areas of dublin catering to , what - 20,000 homes? (pure guess).

Ill dip into another analogy.
    Say we didnt have any public transport. We need buses, we REALLY need buses. We ALSO really need taxi's. You dont HAVE to get taxis, and a hell of a lot more people will get the bus, but there is still a need for taxis. Maybe thats a little simplistic, but thats why i think there is a need for both goals.

To stop persuing broadband now while the iron is hot would be a mistake imo. If there was no progress and no sign of Eircom rolling doing anything about it, then i wouldnt mind so much, but the simple fact is that it is on the agenda now and to ignore it is asking for trouble down the road.

Advertisement