Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File and Print Sharing Problem (A classic)

• 08-12-2000 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

try removing the network card and uninstalling all clients/protocols etc.
    then reinstall network card.
    then reinstall file and print sharing client
    dunno if theres a recovery option anywhere?
    unless you happen to have a settings backup somewhere, but knowing you..you dont smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

backup?
    BACKUP?
    BACKUP?

We don't need no stinkin' backups.

What kinda ****ing muppet ****er are you, asking me Jad-I don't ***ing do ****ing backups -en. Backups me ********. Only ****ors would ****ing think about something so *** as back-****ing-ups. ****'s sake Eamo, cop the **** on, and stop ****ing ****ing on about ****ing ****ing *******.

That's a litle less drastic than the Win98 idea, and should work. It'll only take 2 minutes. Cheers Eamo.

PS ****ing stupid **** of a ******, syntax me ****ing **** of **** and ****ant ****.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

[This message has been edited by Jaden (edited 08-12-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'll see if I can find something in work for you. But you could try looking for the directory name of the missing share in your registry?

Your file/print sharing won't switch back on unless you have installed all the options for it.

Think that is "Client for Microsoft Networks" and your TCP/IP, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nah, it should automatically unbind when you uninstall the network card
    once you add the card in again, it'll put back in all the clients, but ou have to re-add file and print share seperately.
    he hopes anyway, i dont care. i'll just remind him about backups. almost as important as being in the faster car....

Weh weh weh.

Gonna try the nic re-install.

Banzaiiiiiiiiii.....

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

I had Printer and File sharing enabled on my Win98 PC at home. There ere several shares on the machine, some full, some read only, one or two with passwords. All other machines on the LAN had no problem seeing these shares, and all was well.

Then one day, I foolishly removed (ie, took out) a hard drive that had had a share enabled on it. This share kept showing up in Network Neighbourhood, and then erroring, saying it could not find the specified share, (true, cos the drive was not there anymore).

I said to myself "I know, I'll reset all the shares by disabling file and print sharing in Control panel, then switch it back on, to give me a clean slate".

Clever idea - NOT.

File and print sharing hjas now buggered off, and cannot be re-enabled. I tick the nice little boxes, which then promptly untick themselves when I OK it. No amount of rebooting helps. Everything else looks in order.

Please help, before I re-install Win98 back over, and screw up something else badly.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement