Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter

• 06-02-2002 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Film please(book too if you want).

Personally I cant comment as I have only read and seen LOTR, but I think that I would probaly prefer it anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

no poll?!?!

...anyway... only seen LOTR...

...but, like... obviously potter isint as good. nothing is as good... gawd damn it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I was waiting for this thread :D

FoTR blew it outta the water, Harry Potter is a kiddies movie, bored the tit's off me, the only semi-good bit was in the wood and that last all of 30 sec's :rolleyes: .
    flameon.gif

(you'd think cause i was waiting for this topic i'd have come up with a decent response ... but i didn't!:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Mark1million
    Film please(book too if you want).

Personally I cant comment as I have only read and seen LOTR, but I think that I would probaly prefer it anyway.

why would you want it that way?
    if you cant comment then its a pretty silly topic isnt it.

anyway, i thought they both had their merits, but they are different movies.
    the only link they have is fantasy which is about the same as saying that kindegarten cop and robocop are police movies. know what i mean.

most people will say they prefere lotr becuase they have loved the book (god knows why?) for a long time and so will have that 'product support' type thing going. in the same way that male teenagers will automatically say that everything in the charts is crap.
    mostly biased uninformed opinion.
    i enjoyed both. i thought lotr was the better film, but i enjoyed the harry potter books more as they were just fun to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Dammit WWMan i expected more from you... there was very little sarcasm in that post! rectify this immediately, if not sooner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Posted by WWM
    if you cant comment then its a pretty silly topic isnt it.
    Sorry I was led to believe that this was in fact a forum where people can seek other peoples views on subjects that they are interested in. And besides someone had to make this topic:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sorry I was led to believe that this was in fact a forum where people can seek other peoples views on subjects that they are interested in. And besides someone had to make this topic:D

haha.. ripped WWM... now lighten the f*ck up and admit it... FotR was better :p

ya' muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's simply down to this. In my view.

Harry Potter was a kids movie.
    Not that it's a bad thing, being a kids movie. I mean, I have enjoyed plenty of kids movies before, but Harry Potter is quite strictly aimed at kids.
    It was 'Fun', but nothing more.
    I've never read the books.

Lord of the Rings, on the other had, was simply the greatest story ever told.
    LOTR started the Fantasy genre. And in many peoples eyes, including mine, it can never be topped.
    As a film, it was simply spectacular. There was a kind of magic in it.
    Seeing the opening in the Shire nearly brought tears to my eyes with the joy of it. Every single little detail was so intricately filmed, and shot.
    The love that went into it was breath-taking.
    The casting was sheer magnificence, utter perfection.
    Ian McKellan quite easily at the high-point in his career, embodying the character that every single wizard from that point onwards would be based on.

I could prattle on for pages about how brilliant it was. But I think I've made myself pretty clear so far.
    So I won't go on any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Harry Potter is woeful. Lots of hype. Bad film. I mean, come on, Chris Columbus? Hello? Home Alone?

LOTR is class. Like AngelWhore said it started a whole genre. Loved what Jackson did with it. Mmm. Can't wait for the other 2 films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I actually enjoyed Harry Potter! Yeah me Saruman, LOTR nut.. However i dont think they can be compared. What has been pointed out so far is that Harry Potter is a kids movie.. nothing more.. enjoyable but not spectacular in any way.. a sunday afternoon family movie..

FOTR however was the first part in what someone above said is "The greatest story ever told" now while i think that one was a biblical film i would rather hear about Tolkiens story. FOTR was not an Adult film but it was a "GROWN UP" film. It was mature, mostly accurate to the book and extrememly well acted. Everything since LOTR has been taken from Tolkiens world... Gandalf for instance became what everyone thought a wizard should look like.. pointy hat, long grey beard etc... Harry Potter simply used this now standard image as every other film has. Hell even Star Wars is similar to LOTR, just in space but its the same story! The little band against this huge evil empire, the Force (as opposed to magic) and so one.. Hell they even have swords...

So LOTR was infinatly better than Harry Potter.. Both Book version and Film version of each.. so there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

LOTR definately! You can never have to many sword fights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

LOTR vs Harry Potter?

I think about the only "meaningful" comparison which can be made is box-office take, which is a bit pointless.

Harry Potter is a kids book, turned into a movie for kids. Its childish charm has made it appealing to adults, but it has never been (nor ever will be) targetted at any audience above 12 years old.The fact that readers (and perhaps audiences) above that age have fallen in love with the story is simply an added bonus.

LOTR, on the other hand, is rarely read by children below 12, and the movie had a 13-cert in the US, indicating that its target audience (worldwide) was at least teenage, possibly higher.

So,to begin with, we're comparing two stories targetted at completely different demographics. Two stories written for two completely different demographics. Two movies made for different demographics.

In terms of filmmaking, HP has an author who only consented to allow the film to be made under certain conditions, which resulted in a film which was the closest adaption of a book I have ever seen. LOTR, on the other hand, had effectively no involvement from the author, or his surviving estate. JRR sold the rights, lock stock, and as a result Jackson had a free hand.

Comparing them is futile. We might as well discuss Noddy has an Adventure vs War & Peace - which was the better book.

Personally, I think each movie was a stunning success, and achieved more-or-less exactly what the studios, producers, and directors were aiming for. I think very little could be done to either movie to significantly improve it, but each has its flaws.

As to *anyone* who claims that it is the greatest movie ever made, I would suggest that they calm themselves and say that it is the best movie they have ever seen, because beyond that they're talking through their cakehole.

jc

Originally posted by Goodshape

haha.. ripped WWM... now lighten the f*ck up and admit it... FotR was better :p

ya' muppet.

lighten up? i was mearly giving an opinion.
    if you read my post you will see that i said lotr was better as a film, so try reading my posts if youa re going to commecnt on them.

oh by the way, good points there on the films, keep em coming. i find your input invaluable.

quote:

Sorry I was led to believe that this was in fact a forum where people can seek other peoples views on subjects that they are interested in. And besides someone had to make this topic

indeed it is a forum where you can seek others opinions, i just feel its silly to start a thread comparing too things if you cant giev an opinion yourself.
    oh, and we already had this thread about 5 times, so its nothing that anyone here with a month long memory cant re-write or paraphrase.

azezil: busines resumed as normal... :)

Yeah there is a major case of Deja Vu going on here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Yeah there is a major case of Deja Vu going on here...
    Probaly but who really cares :D
    Just as long as we get to talk about LOTR (you'd think that I'd just go to the LOTR forum,but no.)

its nothing that anyone here with a month long memory cant re-write or paraphrase.

Ill have you know my memory is pretty ****ty anyway but, yea I should have checked a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

hmmm..... I think of lord of the rings as serious fantasy , Harry Potter , yes I enjoyed but its more like the fairy tale fantasy , I personally put them in different categories.

You could compare Harry Potter to the Never ending story.. personally i think the latter was better.. at least it had a Dragon, well a Dog like Dragon

Hmmm...... never ending story - use to be on every xmas when I was younger - never could watch the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Harry Poofter is not even in the same league.

Like comparing

Rocky V to The Matrix

That would be an interesting comparison though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 chunk 3:16

in all fairness there realy is no comparison
    between the two films.

lord of the rings brilliant fantastic great to watch
    enjoyed by everyone i know who has seen it.

harry potter was ****e pure ****e at that i did not
    enjoy what i had seen of it and frankly i dont want
    to see the rest of it. and any kids i know who went to
    see it thought it was just all right nothing special.
    and points to jk rowling for originality she just ripped
    off the name of her main character from a 1986 film called
    troll

• Advertisement

Aw you've ruined the dream that Harry Potter was good , I think that I'm going to cry :(

Originally posted by chunk 3:16
    in all fairness there realy is no comparison
    between the two films.

lord of the rings brilliant fantastic great to watch
    enjoyed by everyone i know who has seen it.

harry potter was ****e pure ****e at that i did not
    enjoy what i had seen of it and frankly i dont want
    to see the rest of it. and any kids i know who went to
    see it thought it was just all right nothing special.
    and points to jk rowling for originality she just ripped
    off the name of her main character from a 1986 film called
    troll

from someone who has just claimed hasnt seen the film....
    yes, i think your opinion is also valid.

another person blinded and who sees only what the want to see.
    have a look on the tv/films forum adn goto the first thread about lotr and you sill see there is actually a number of people who thought lotr was boring.
    now, youve met some poeple who didnt like it.
    yep you may have met a few people who didnt like harry potter, but then again, id say its not many.

by the way, ive seen troll, and it was muck. harry potter was enjoyable. and thats what i like in films, i like to be entertained.
    its kinda nice that i can go and see a film and enjoy it and not be too busy trying to be a critic. of course, i suppose you have to see the film first dont you.
    tell me your informed opinion when you form one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Saruman
    Gandalf for instance became what everyone thought a wizard should look like.. pointy hat, long grey beard etc... Harry Potter simply used this now standard image as every other film has.
    Correct me if im wrong, but tolkein did not invent this image of a wizard.

Hell even Star Wars is similar to LOTR, just in space but its the same story! The little band against this huge evil empire, the Force (as opposed to magic) and so one
    Oh come on, This is one of the oldest themes around, exclusive to no one story.

I have this horrible feeling that LotR is going to become the current generations Star Wars.
    Its a great film alright, but its nowhere near the 'BEST FILM EVAR'.

Did not claim its the best film ever... I would not even say its the best book ever.. i would say FOTR was one of my fave films (dont have absolute fave) and the Book at the moment is my fave but its not the best book ever written.. only out of what i have read is it the best in my opinion (then again not others who have read what i have!)

And if Tolkien did not come up with that image of a wizard then who did? And i did not say he created this image.. i said Gandlaf became the standard image of wizards after that.. most wizards in most books/films all look like him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Dustaz

I have this horrible feeling that LotR is going to become the current generations Star Wars.
    Its a great film alright, but its nowhere near the 'BEST FILM EVAR'.

Pfft.... this generation has Star Wars too!... and Episode II is out in a couple of months, come to think of it...

I'd always place the Star Wars movies above LoTR without hesitation... but maybe thats just me...

Well the latest version of starwars has put this generation off it.
    We'll have to see what the next one has to offer.

Everyone just has their own taste I enjoy starwars, find the books far easier to read than Tolkien, I it depends what I'm in the mood for really.

Originally posted by bonkey

As to *anyone* who claims that it is the greatest movie ever made, I would suggest that they calm themselves and say that it is the best movie they have ever seen, because beyond that they're talking through their cakehole.

*Grabs Cakehole*

*Slams cakehole ontop of face*

*Starts running around shouting*

"BESTTAST FILM0R! EVAR! UBAR L33T!"

Well, despite my drunken ramblings last night, I kinda think calling it Best film ever is a little over the top.
    Seeing as it's only the first part of a massive story.

I should really wait untill the next two instalments arrive, and then blurt my load about how it's the best thing in the world ever!

But I shall say, that as only part of the entire story, as a film lotr stirred feelings in me that I've never experienced while watching a film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

premature emancipation..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I dont understand how any comparison can be made between the two.harry potter is about wizards very very thin link to lotr tottaly different films like comparing Dogma to the mission just becuase both have a religous theme about them and besides fotr is much better.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Arion

Personally I liked Harry potter. It depends on what you want from a film. I want a good film with a good ending. fotr, doesn't provide this. you are anticipating what the ending is going to be like when you see the credits screen pop up. it is like being kicked out of the cinema 20min before the film is over.

Does anyone know how I can get a recording(preferably dvd, although divx or vhs would also suffice.) on this side of the atlantic.

:rolleyes:
    Not the ending malarky again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

Hey Mark (i hate you)
    OK it sounds like no one here has acctually read the two book sagas.I have and dont laugh dicks.
    1. LOTR movie ****ing tits, brilliant really gets the feeling of the books in(but it feels sorta incomplete)
    2. Harry Potter movie alright not great had its moments.Too childish butchered the book (although the first was childish)
    3 LOTR Book absoulute class epic bit ****ed up one of the best books written (im not finished yet)
    4 Harry potter - bookS first and second very good,third and esspcially forth ****ing brilliant best book ive read.Dont be ignorant **** it is a ****ing good book.

Advertisement