Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem trouble

• 05-12-2000 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Lo, got a little problem with my phone line, please reply if you can help.

Problem:
    modem does not detect a dial tone unless I unplug the wire from the modem and plug it back in again. I am pretty sure I've read about this problem before here over a year ago.

From what I've been told. It looks like the modem is picking up the dial tone without me telling it to dial out and then it times out so when I try to dial to an isp, there's no dial tone. Unplugging and plugging the wire back in resets the dial tone. If that is what's happening, how can I stop it? I don't think it's a modem problem as I am using the exact same settings as I was in my last house and I didn't have this problem. Anyone know what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

This used to happen on OEM USR modems. You had to use the little y-splitter/adapter to overcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

I had that problem with an internal US Robitics 56K. I lived with it for a while, then formated my hard drive (just for the sake of formating it, not to fix anything)...... and the problem dissapeared. Dont ask me why, it just did smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

You know...if I went through all the trouble of reformating my hard-drive and it doesn't fix it...I'll find you and HURT you smile.gif

I'll try thr y-splitter first I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i had that problom with a friend i think it was the cord though that was the problom but i was there a while ago and he is using a y splitter now though . so i dono wahts going on

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Nope, y-splitter didn't do the trick and I doubt reinstalling windows will fix it. Plugged the phone and the pc in a y-splitter and no dial tone. Unplug wire from modem, got dial tone on the phone back. Same thing with my brothers machine which I have here as I am fixing it. This doesn't happen to my flatmate's machine with a modem that has an extra socket on the modem for connecting your phone. What's interesting is that at home, when I use the y-splitter that came with my modem, I don't get a dial tone on the phone if the modem is unplugged and I do only when the modem is plugged in. So my conclusion is....gotta go home and nick that old y-splitter I left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭FrEaK On A LeAsH

Hey i had exact same prob, with exact same modem heres how to fix it.get your phone line and open it up cut the black and yellow wires on both ends.I rang up eircom with that problem and thats what the guy did, i have no probs now.

Errr, you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Only the green and red wires are used.

Hmmm, cutting the black and yellow wires worked. I guess the y-splitter that came with my modem at home and my flatmate's modem blocks the signals from those 2 wires. Thanks for da help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I have the exact same problem. Wheres the wires i should cut? In the splitter, the modem jack or the wall jack?

• Advertisement

The extension telephone wire you use to connect your modem to the splitter. Open it up and snip the black wire and yellow wire. If you mess up it'll only cost 3 quid or something to replace it.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 07-12-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭FrEaK On A LeAsH

No problem, glad to be of help smile.gif

cheers guy smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

or just get a phone dongle for your modem
    it does the same trick without having to risk ingury by scissor attack smile.gif

Whats a phone dongle, and where would one procure such a thing?
    Im a bit fo a blouse when it comes to cutting things up, so that sounds even better wink.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    Whats a phone dongle, and where would one procure such a thing?
    Im a bit fo a blouse when it comes to cutting things up, so that sounds even better wink.gif
    </font>
    AH no, do the DIY thingy. Cut open the shielding and expose the 4 wires. If there's someone else in the room just pretend you're defusing a bomb and ask them to pick a colour. Snip the wires and then run like hell screaming "RUN!! IT'S GONNA BLOW!"

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

whilke your talking about modem problems ...
    I used to have a 33.6k and I play tfc
    with my 33.6 (a winmodem)I used to get around 350 ping on IGN also with about 5fps frown.gif
    now with my 56k (I think its a winmodem)
    I still get around 350 ping, with on advertage 21fps, I also connect at a full 57,000bps (ntl line) I also tryied the Eircom one and I stil get the same ping reply
    I am not too sure if its my modem or my box or the game wants too many fps and it causing me to lag .. (ps this one is a new box ) well if anyone knows any of those commands like max_fps etc. please post here to help me
    thanks

:Oj:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I think these are the commands most worth tinkering with.

rate 4200 (server => client data transmission rate in bytes/ps)

cl_rate 3000 (client => server data transmission rate in bytes/ps)

cl_updaterate 30 (amount of times (per second?) the client and server are updated)

fps_max 50 (cap the fps to whatever)

fps_modem 50 (cap the fps to whatever when using a lower rate)

pushlatency -200 (compensate for lag depending on ping)

Oh and disable v-sync on your GFX card, it'll probably give you some image tearing, but should stabalise FPS.

Play around with them, and use cl_showfps 1 to get a good idea of your average... net_graph 1 will give you the same and more, but it kills FPS (for me anyway).

Apart from that, tweak your dial-up connection for a lower ping, there's a million posts on it around the CS board.

Advertisement