Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

case modding

Options
  • 06-02-2002 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

who else here mod'ed their case ??

just finished modding mine - bought a hole saw and drilled 2 83mm holes near the bottom of the case

places 2 80mm Ever Cool fans there and with the case back on it droped the temp from 58 to 48 - ntb :)

have to punch another hoole in the back of it later, but thats another days work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

hmm..
    I just changed the leds on my keyboard and power led to bloo.
    Made my uv mod and painted cards and grills.
    Made my deltas fit the back of my case.
    Made my 120mm fan fit in the front.
    Modded my old razer and put a blue led in it.
    Made a USB led light mod.
    Made a usb led mod from the onboard connections and lit up the door of my case.
    7v modded all my deltas.
    Should be cutting a window soon once i get perspecs. I got a black and decker wizard in Argos.
    Put a chrome orb on my GF3 and put on ramsinks.
    Thats it for a couple of days until after the lan party.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

well i've not really modded it yet, but i plan to as soon as a rather large package arrives for me, just ordered a bunch of long rounded cables, Enermax 120x120x25mm Fan, 120mm Window Kit, 120mm Mirror BioHarzard Laser Cut Grill (Mirrored-Plexi) and finally Blue Cold Cathode Light, once it arrives i can't wait to attack this case with a dremel >-)
    it it turns out good i'll post a pic, if not i'll change my name buy a new case and hide in shame ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I may well be following you into Shamesville there Eye ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm still getting the neccessary it together. For what i'm planning i cant really do anything till i have all the tools and materials together.
    Sanding the case and the plastic bevel (lightly) to remove paint and give the new stuff something to hold onto the plastic. Putting a rounded plexiglass window on the side with a stencil/etching/sticker thing. have the image I want to use too :)
    Scanners are fun.
    Got a really nuts electronic too, kit today. Mulitmeter, bread-board, solderin iron, case of tools and a few other bits. Worth about €120. got it for €50 from the college.
    Going to use this to make some fan mods and switches.
    Will sort out lighting at a later stage.
    Going to properly fix up my air flow. have allready made home-brew rounded cables and the airflow is a bit better I think. Just need to clip them down and tidy them away now.
    Going to do the LED mod on the keyboard, but I'll use red LEDs i think, or else white. not sure yet. If I use white i'll need a resistor in series with each one.
    Plenty of work ahead of me before Room101

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Haven't actually modded my case yet, I've spent most time tweaking the fans for best cooling/noise ratio. I decided to leave the modding work until after my exams, when I will have time. My main concern will be to do a proper job, I don't want fans vibrating or anything.

Plan is to cut a 120mm hole in the front, and move the 120 mm fan there. I think I will cut 2 60 mm holes on the side panel opposite the cpu fans, and duct air directly into the fans. This will ensure the cpu gets cold air, though I fear having a direct route to the outside will increase noise. I am going to cut out the 80mm rear fan mount properly, as currently the airflow is too restricted to bother with a fan there. I'm gonna heatsink the mosfets on the board, as currently they are too hot for my liking (55c).

I may put an 80mm blowhole in the side, cooling the graphics card. Hopefully the 120mm at the front will render this unnecessary, we shall see.

The major source of noise is the hard drive, I am going to cover it with some insulation, and remount it with rubber washers. It will be kept cool by running the fans on the hard drive cooler.

• Advertisement

Just tidyed my case and will have pics soon

I'm ordering 1x120mm Sunon (or just plain quiet), 3x 80mm (queit/Sunon), lots of LEDs, some 3/4-way switches, thermal paste and some other stuff.
    The painting and window mod will take a bit more time and organisin'

I have a voltage selecter mod almost finished, just need the right switch and I'll start soldering the board. Might even integrate a LED or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yah. Modded the actual case (outside), painted with fur over it now. Some LEDs in the front. A few extra fans. Watercooling set up, with the radiator mounted all nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i whiped out my hole saw over the weekend afain and put 2 more holes in here :D - 80mm blow hole directly ovber the cpu dictung air onto it
    and a blow hole in the back as well - just over the cards and thats blowing out nicely with a 80mm ys tech jobbie

droped cpu temp from 48 to 45 tongue.gif

now its time to start tweaking the bios and raise the fsb a bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

just buy a supermicro 760A :p

3 front fan mounts, with dust filter, top left, 120mm exhaust (or can put a second psu in there), includes extra 120mm fan for above the cpu, wider than most cases + taller for good airflow (rounded cables improve things alot).

+ u can get the xeon cooling kit for it, which would drop cpu temp another 10-15 degrees (ducted huge fan for the cpu), no vibration, solidly built, intruder alarm if supported + looks snazzy with the audigy drive on the front, + athlon beveled sticker, stands about 3 foot off the ground, and is the perfect width to put the scanner on top of it :)

• Advertisement

How much was that Astro, and where'd you get it?

Might be a bit awkward bringing it to a LAN though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

was about 150 sterling I think, got it through dabs.com, case is full full (all 5.25 inch slots used, all pci slots used and 3 HD's) and still stays cool

and yea, would be awkward for LANs :)

for LAN, one of those VIA Eden's would be cool, not the best performer, but managable

Just installed a 92mm blowhole with a Delta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

how long did it take you and if you don't mind my asking how much did it set you back? :)

Advertisement