Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Diff

• 07-02-2002 10:53am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Is there a major difference between PC100 and PC133 SDRAM??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Depends, if you FSB is 133mhz and you put PC100 in there.. it will drop and so answer is yes there is a big difference.. If you have a 100mhz fsb like original Slot 1 PIII's did then adding PC133 to a PC100 system is fine, should clock down to PC100 (i have mix of both and its fine!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

about a 33% speed difference, surprise surprise

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok, So price wise is PC133 much more valuable than PC100??

If a PC133 128MB Dimm is worth say €30, what is the PC100 worth as I sold a lad 128MB and I told him it was PC133 but now after looking at the dimm I realised PC100!!

Dont think you can get PC100 these days, as PC133 clocks down there is no need.. anyway cost wise there is feic all difference.. in fact that 128mb you sold him if it was pc100 probably ORIGINALLY cost more than PC133 costs these days! bty if he REQUESTED PC133 because he uses PC133, well he will be back! The difference will no noticed straight away!! Start running now i think.. hehe.. Sure for an extra €15 or so he could have had it brand new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You can still get PC100 SDRAM new

There is usually no price difference between PC100 and PC133 at retail prices.

If the guy who bought your RAM has a PC133 system the PC100 will cause his memory bus speed to reduce and his memory will underclock to 100 Mhz.

This will probably cause his system to run slightly slower. If he notices he'll probably be annoyed.

• Advertisement

Most likely he WILL notice, not because of the speed difference which me be very little.. No if you put in mem most normal people check the bios to make sure its recognised etc.. when he sees his lovely 133fsb down to 100 he will be pretty pissed.. then again chances are he only had 100fsb anyway so no probs!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I told him , did not bother him! :D

Advertisement