Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving Documents to a web server!

Options
  • 07-02-2002 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi All...

If I have a document Management system that has links to all types of Documents on an Intranet... Internet. If I click to view the document I am specifing a URL to the Source. If I make changes to that document I want to save it back in the Document Location. How can this be achieved.

I could use a UNC path, but it may be the case that this is actually hosted outside of an Organisation or someone. So I really have to use a URL.

I am not sure either of the type of document that the user will have... It could be wordperfect, word or even just a text file.

Just need to save this back to the Server!

Any help on this is appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Look up webDav (Web Folders) on the net, might be a solution for you...

extract from http://www.fileangel.org/docs/DAV_2min.html :
    Home user web publishing

A home user can simplify his or her interface to a web server by interfacing with it through DAV (assuming support on the server side). First the user sets up their site on their home computer. Then, using Internet Explorer 5, they set up a Web Folder through the Add Web Folders icon. After providing information on their web server and user id, they can save to and access their directory on the server transparently by using the Web Folder on their desktop, which appears and behaves as a typical local folder.

Windows 95, 98, and 2000 provide "Web Folders", which are an interface to a collection of resources stored on a DAV server. The Web Folder look and behave remarkably like a regular Windows 95-style folder. You can drag-and-drop files into and out of the folder. The main difference is that files must first be copied to a local (or non-DAV) drive before applications can use them. However, if an application is DAV-aware then the file may be opened directly (e.g. from "File ... Open").

To set-up a Web Folder, consult the documentation for your flavor of Windows. Remember that not just any web server will work; you'll need the address of a DAV-enabled server. Thank Mr. Gates for making this process relatively painless; it should take five minutes.

viking

Advertisement