Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulysses by James Joyce

Options
  • 07-02-2002 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

This follows from the Best Book Ever thread. While I am glad to see an Irishman top of the Random house 100 best, I can't help wondering how manby of us have read it and if we think it's that great.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

And you read Ulysses? If so did you like it? 5 votes

Yes. It was Great!!!!!
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, I wished I'd read something shorter
    60% 3 votes
    No. I prefer stuff with a plot
    20% 1 vote
    Does reading the first ten pages count?
    20% 1 vote

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tried to read it before, but i got so incredibly bored :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

never liked joyce, of all irish writers, he was my least favourite.
    that flan o'bryan fella now, third policeman is still one of my favourites. must read that again actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

WWman, myles na gcopaleen's controversial article on Joyce and Ulysses is here so it is to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Flann O'Brien is excellent. My favorite bits of his work are the pieces he wrote about steam engines (The Best of Myles). The outline he wrote about a book-reading business is pure class as well.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

In a fit of boredom I checked back on this here poll. And after I thought we had reached a consensus (to wit that reading the first few pages of Ulysses is enough for anyone). Some has voted that they liked it.

Could the person in question please give us (I mean me) a reason why they liked it? Oh and if that person turns out to be Senator Norris, could they alos explain that whole Euroquiz thingy that was on Blizzard of Odd a while ago. Danke.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Advertisement
Advertisement