Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ME NOW PLEASE :)

• 12-12-2000 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, getting an error message at boot.

Explorer:

This program has performed an illegal operation... etc.

Details:

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at 015f:00401f31

Registers:

(Loads of numbers)

If any one can help so that I dont have to do a full format please let me know. I have already tried installing windows over whats there, also it wouldnt boot into safe mode. Im guessing explorer is corupt. If I do have to do a full install, is there any programme that I can get to run in dos that will copy directories and sub directories, onto a seperate HD??

Cheers for an help.

John

BTW, its a 98 system first edition.

[This message has been edited by Lump (edited 11-12-2000).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Lump,

Er, looks like you're in trouble, especially if Explorer is still broken after a windows reinstall. Tried just getting someone elses copy of Explorer.exe and plugging it in?

As for the directory copying, XCOPY and XCOPY32 come with DOS/Windows, and should do the job admirably.

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

When it's starting to boot up before the win logo appears press F8 (as far as I remember). Then select boot up with boot log?

It will still crash but then go back again and press F8 and go to dos safe mode.

Now there should be a file called bootlog.txt. Open that in a text editor (EDIT, no notepad).

Do a search for the word "failed" (or possibly failed). Make a note of all the lines that say that. Post them to the forum.

Also before that try pressing F8 and booting up in safe mode. If you can boot up in safe mode without the error then it's something you installed.

It might help if you tell us what you installed/ran before this problem happend. The error can be caused by a number of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Cheers, lads Fixxed. Santa helped me last night.

John

Advertisement