Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Common Sense" could be the key to winning the fight to get broadband?

Options
  • 07-02-2002 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Could the past be the key to our adsl future?

Perhaps...

Look to America back in the time when they were ruled by Britain for example...many idealists and revolutionaries believed that America would be much better off if they escaped from British rule.

However, the common man (or woman) didn't share in their views...frankly they weren't informed on the entire issue too well.

Then something happened, a published called Thomas Paine took action...he published a pamphlet entitled "Common Sense" which was 64 pages long and explained every issue in a simple context - over 250,000 copies were sold and it is now believed that it was one of the if notthe key influence in America winning the war against Britain.

Perhaps we could apply this to us...

Publish pamphlets and distribute them to Joe and Jane Bloggs' around the country - even perhaps to little Jimmy Bloggs' - alot of children are way up on technology these days and we might as well inform everyone while we're at it.

Imagine a world where you could go online whenever you like...for however long you liked...download music in a matter of seconds...and not worry about any extra charges on your phone bill. It's a reality in almost every western world country but Ireland - and we're not going to catch up by slower. Action needs to be taken, and it needs to be taken now.

What do you think?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Nice one, I'll gladly copy and distribute pamphlets in my area, however I'm not well up enough on the whole thing to help write them. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

I'll help you if you like, PhaXx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I think highlighting how important broadband is to the economy will be the winner with the bloggs family and un-techie types.

If ppl r made aware that Eastern European countries that will be joining the EU soon have BETTER Telecommunication networks than Ireland they will be completly behind us in fear of losing those Knowledge based techie displines to Czech rep for example...

27th in the OECD survy of Developed and Developing countries... Come on....

In the end of the day ppl just care about themselfs and their pockets... So highlighting how important it is to their pockets is essential...

One more thing... Talking to some Headmasters would be an excellent idea.... Letting them know that Broadband will make connecting their school to the world simplistic and CHEAP

Advertisement