Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead

Options
  • 08-02-2002 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Politeness and The Emperor's New Clothes factor aside, what do people REALLY think of Kid A and Amnesiac?

Do they sit gathering dust while OK and Bends and Pablo get lots of cd time at home or are the latter growing moss. You're all anon here so let it fly.Do you all still like radiohead or are they drifting away from you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

I will admit to being initially put off by Kid A but a scotch, a joint and a bad day fixed all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I still regularly listen to all the Radiohead albums bar Pablo Honey. It's a good album but comparing it to the bends and OK Computer it does not really hold it's own.

I thought Kid A was one of the most original albums I have ever heard. It came out of nowhere totally unexpected and it has thrown down the gauntlet to other bands boldly stating here is the standard now you try and surpass it.

If you listen to OK Computer, Amnesiac and then Kid A in that order, the development is more obvious.

That of course wouldn't be very Radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I actually thought Kid A was a thing of beauty... a shot out of the dark - a shock to the system, - a surprisingly good new direction from an already superb group.

OK Computer still ranks highly as one of the best albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening to... Kid A, while being a world apart from OK Computer in style, tempo and feeling, can still be claimed to be a 'natural progression' and 'the next step in the evolution of the band'. I actually would now listen to Kid A more than any other Radiohead album... but would still listen to 'Creep' and 'Karma Police' more than any other Radiohead tracks...

Unfortunately, on the whole, I was a bit disappointed with Amnesiac and wouldn't grace my CD player tray with it's presence terribly often. It seemed like a case of too much of a good thing being a bad thing, to be honest. After the progression from OK Computer to Kid A, I have to say I expected more, - and it seemed like Kid A's poor cousin - the B sides, as such- ... stuff that they maybe at first considered not good enough to make a full album and then later on decided that (f**k it!) they'd make another album from these 'left-overs'. That said, it does (of course) have it's moments of greatness, - "You and Whos Army" being a good example of that...

Make of them what you will- I think Radiohead are a great band - albeit a bit (too?) depressing at times - and that Thom Yorke is a true musical genius. It'll be interesting to see what they'll do next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i dont like radiohead that much;but i do respect their music,cos its different.

i heard summit like,thom yorke was spouting on how he didnt think the album was good...or summit to that effect;is this true?

i dont like thom yorke's jivery in general...summit about him that seems to contrived...but then again i havent met him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

They are great and Kid A and amnesiac are as good as anything they've ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My initial impression of Kid A were that it was a pile of experimental poo, but I ripped it to mp3 and stuck it into my playlist anyway and now I really like In Limbo and Motion Picture Soundtrack. And I'm not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i havent given kid a a liten to that much but my boyfriend thinks its one of the best albums every loves it cant stop listening t it, etc. etc. buti quite like amnesiac...its quite l;ike the other albums listening to wise-theyve all got beauitful tracks that you can always listen to and then others youve got to be in the mood for, or that you have a love hate relationship with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

I quite like the live mini-album they released in November. Listen to it, then the other two and it all makes perfect sense

Advertisement