Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Noticed ?

Options
  • 08-02-2002 4:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I was just talking to a mate of mine today about the quality of net connections as of late i was just wondering if this is a nationwice problem ?.Firstly my m8 lives 30 miles away and uses a different isp thurles i think he said i usaly connect to cashel both these connection have gone to the dogs lately.Due to Eircoms policy of not letting me send E-mails through my ocean connection i can hardly send an E-mail before 12pm.I know i should get another account somewhere but id probably forget the address :).If connections have gone tits up why ?. could it be due to upgrading as it surely couldnt be that a lot of people use the internet these days coz eircom has told us that there is no intrest in this new fagled stuff ?.

Huuum very perplexing

Stone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've noticed myself that my Esat Clear/Oceanfree/Eircom dial-up connections here in Dublin take at least 3/4 attempts to actually CONNECT in the past few weeks....that said, when it does finally log on the connection rate is between the usual 46-48k. I was beginning to think it was something with my line actually...anyone know what's goin on so?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I've noticed recently (the last month) that I'm getting disconnects from Unison on my ISDN (64K) every now and then (I never have had disconnects on ISDN in the past). Apart from that the speed seems fine when I'm connected.

Gandalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Oceanfree and UTV are my defaults. I have problems with both: Oceanfree tends to connect, and hang, with no actual connectivity; and UTV tends to hang while connecting. Both are of course costing me money each time. It's robbery.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 paris

I have connected at between 46-48K, first go, without fail for the past few years with Indigo. Within the last month, I'm (a) experiencing a few problems connecting (but eventually getting there) and (b) connecting at around 31-33K, which sucks. Hmmm...wonder what's going on.

paris

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Oceanfree and UTV are my defaults. I have problems with both: Oceanfree tends to connect, and hang, with no actual connectivity; and UTV tends to hang while connecting. Both are of course costing me money each time. It's robbery.

adam

I use UTV most of the time (insert 99.9% there), and I've had BRUTAL problems over the last 8 months on and off. Everything from duialing in and just not connecting due to "bad password" *cough my b*llocks*, and taking 3 attempts to get a connection, to my connection hanging, to absolutely DIRE line conditions(F*CK YOU VERY MUCH EIRW*NK) resulting in sub 20,000 bps speeds as compared to my average 45,333 bps

It's gotten to the stage on sevaral occasions where I actually DIDN'T want to go online because of all of this.

That said .. the UTV tech support people have genuinely tried to help on every occasion I've contacted them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

between the Hours of 7PM and 10PM, at any time of the week Esat's IOL Free Connection can take up to 40 times dialing to connect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's gotten to the stage on sevaral occasions where I actually DIDN'T want to go online because of all of this.

That bad, eh? :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That bad, eh? :)

adam

Worse ;)

Imagine something that you love using suddently changing in such a way beyond your control that it simply isn't enjoyable to use anymore, and gives such a negative feedback that you never want to use it again.

Imagine had that been a first time user in my place .. they'd call the internet a pile of steaming sh*t and wash their hands of it very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yep, ive had problems too mostly with UTV, the message usually, the computer u are dialing to is not answering, please try later.. bleah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I have problems with both: Oceanfree tends to connect, and hang, with no actual connectivity;

adam

im gettign that a lot these days :mad: its a real kick in the ass
    i check my downlaod meter and i can see that im sending packets but not recieving a single one !! :mad: :mad: :mad:

i have to reboot or conect to <shudder> eircon </shudder> or some crap

i have up on UTV a while back - getting CRAP conections seen as i mainly use my isdn for games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Originally posted by Stonemason
    Due to Eircoms policy of not letting me send E-mails through my ocean connection i can hardly send an E-mail before 12pm.

Just pop the oceanfree's outgoing mailserver in your eircom email account properties and live happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Even my ISDN (Subscription) now takes 3-4 attempts to connect...

IMHO Eircom are doing this deliberately...All those lovely 4p's to connect for one microsecond

Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

adam

Exact same problem here too even on ISDN:confused: I know in the past when I had a 56k connection that when it rained it used to affect my connection rather badly. We have had a lot of bad rain lately, would that be affecting everyon's connections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

yeah, i've noticed that on my isdn subscription account for about 10-15 minutes just randomly during the evening you're disconnected and its impossible to reconnect. (with eircom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I did have ISDN until a few weeks ago come to think of it i was having trouble connecting on that tooTowards the end.My only consolation is that i am no longer being driven into poverty buy the isdn charges and by all accounts i got out just in time.Only my opinion but if i was paying for ISDN id be onto Eircom like a shot hell if they are going to F**** you for dareing to want a half decent connection the very least they could do is provide what they promise.Thats a point normal phone lines are there for voice (so eircom says)but surely ISDN is mainly for net access so they dont have a get out of it clause.So lads demand your rights tell em straight FIX its your obligation.YOU TIGHT FISTED "$£%%£&$&%^*%£&(*& £%£%$%£$%£$%$£$%&*()()_$£"" MONKEY PUKES

the last part is optional :D

Stone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Noticed it aswell on my 56k. Although I've never in my life experienced anything along the lines of connection dropping/hanging, must be just you suckers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Noticed it aswell on my 56k. Although I've never in my life experienced anything along the lines of connection dropping/hanging, must be just you suckers :p
    LOL :p and i hope you never do experience it. And your right, we are suckers for putting up with it :mad: But what's the use in fighting it :( Eircom just ignore / fobb off / and lie. I just have a hunch that when the weather gets better so will the connections. Eircom have soooooooooo much copper above ground that they still use it's a wonder the whole country just didnt come to a standstill when it snowed LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

hmmm....so based on this thread, a LOT of people are having connectivity issues with their dial-up connections lately, apparently regardless of who the ISP is.....are we all on Eircom lines so - I am :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Getting on line with UTV has been okay 95% of the time but about half the time it'll drop the ball after an hour or so, is this a way of clearing space or just a bad connection?.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I dont usaly bother with the CD,S i just have the numbers saved :)so i dont think i have an account with them.But i think ill sign up with them at this stage.

Thanks

Stone:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

this time last year i had terrible trouble. Then i got the letter from esat and took the 75 hours....ever since its been first time all the way.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have no probs dialing into my SNL account but I ALWAYS get a speed of 28,800bps :( Chronic slow!

Advertisement