Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card to upgrade?

• 11-12-2000 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

oi conor, dont know the name of it but i saw a card in game the other day for 550 quid smile.gif
    im sure that will get you an extra 3 fps in alpha centuri smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yes very helpful Eamo, now fu<k off smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Yeah, like what Yossarian said, the GeForce2 MX is good or get a GeForce DDR. They're slightly faster than the GeForce2 MX at high res and only cost like 10 quid more.

You will notice a big difference with these cards.

And if money is no object...get a GeForce2 Ultra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

that 550 quid card was the Geforce2 Ultra.
    Bloody expensive.
    The MX also overclocks nicely
    biggrin.gif

Stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ya im thinking of getitng a GeForce 2 MX
    they r cheap (120 odd squids) and compare nicely to the geforce 1 256 DDR @ 200 odd quid

[IMG][/img]http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/about/images/catbert.gif

[This message has been edited by StrataGIST (edited 11-12-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Are all those flavours of geforce 2 cards better than an nvidia tnt2? Im sorta clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, they are all better. If you are getting an mx, get one with ddr memory, as I think some of them have sdr memory, which is bad. (ie, not better than the memory on a tnt2)

Also, you will need a much faster machine to get the best from a geforce2 (gts). With your p500 and a gf2, games will be much faster when theres not much going on, but your worst case fps will not be much better. If you are thinking of upgrading though, I would get the geforce2 gts, as it is much faster than the mx.

The DDR cards only have a 64bit memory bandwidth. The SDR version has a 128bit bus.
    As the Geforce cards already suffer from a memory bandwidth bottleneck the SDR seems the better bet. Especially if you overclock it.

Stephen.

And another thing...
    NVIDIA have been marketing TWINVIEW a lot,
    But i havent seen a card which supports dual MONITOR output so far. All the ones so far that have TWINVIEW only support monitor+TV output.
    I was gonna buy a GF2 MX TWINVIEW but trudging through the vague marketing specs put me off.

Stephen.

erm i think you are wrong on the 64 bit memory bus thing. Every nvidia card since roughly the time of the the tnt1, except the tnt2-m64, and the vanta, has a 128 bit memory bus. The DDR ram is clocked twice as fast as SDR ram, and it has the same memory bus.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 11-12-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any idea where I'd be able to get a geforce 2 mx for that price (120), Stata?

And Yossarian: Matrox's G400 supports dual monitors (DUAL HEAD they call it). I have a G400, but its OEM kit and only supports a single monitor, but a regular G400 (16/32mb agp) will support twin monitors. I'm sure some of their other G*** cards have the same technology... http://www.matrox.com

- Munch
    gibskull2.gif

The DDR version is castrated to prevent it from competing too closley with the more expensive GTS2 & GTS2Ultra.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1266&p=3

Twinview is Nvidia's competitor to Matrox's dual head. After sifting through all the marketing hype, i havent been able to find one consumer card which offers dual monitor support.
    Any that do have TwinView support monitor+TV.

Stephen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

My comp is a PIII 500 with 192 RAM, and a Voodoo3 which i reckon is pretty crap, so:

What would be a good card to get to upgrade?

Where, and how much? smile.gif

Also, will I notice a difference with that CPU or do you need some monster machine to get the best from a GeForce256 et al?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Yes you will definately notice a difference, even on my p2 333 I got a 30 FPS jump in Q3, as well as an unknown performance jump in other games. You would probably need a faster machine to obtain the full benefits of a gf(2), but you will still notice a sizeable improvement without existing hardware.

Redesigned

Have you considered a GF2 MX ?

Pretty good performance at a resonable price.

Stephen.

oops, sorry about that. I didn't realise you were talking about the ddr gf2 mx. Oh well.
    I would still reccomend the geforce ddr over the mx in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hey conor, you actually understand any of that gibberish they are spouting?
    get yourself any 32 mg agp graphics card and you'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

hows things connor rember me prob dont been ages since ive had to drop somthn into you for eamo anyways . ill buy that card off ya for 30 pounds when your selling it if you r and you should go for a gts card off gerry i think its 200 pounds r somthn good card and i had it in a 550 and it ran grand

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The GF2 mx is £119 in EB, but is £150 in game ...

Redesigned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Geforce2 Pro....Hmmmmmmmmmm...... Overclocks very reliably to nigh on ULtra speeds and is much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

you ppl seem to know your gfx card stuff. can anyone tell me how to completely disable an integrated graphics card? i need to do this before i can upgrade to a proper card, otherwise ill be playin in software mode 400 X 300 for a long time. oh and i know the part about removing it in the device manager but surely there must be more to it than that, to get the system to accept a new card as the primary card.

ne small bit of help will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

there should be a option in the bios

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dont remove from device manager, just go into properties and DISABLE it.
    it should then appear with a big red x on it, and your other card should automatically be selected

Advertisement