Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Games!

Options
  • 08-02-2002 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone notice before Christmas, maybe October or before the price of games went mental? I mean i always shopped in either Game or EB, Game was always cheapest and loyaly card holders got money off a good few games..

Then something happened.. dont know what maybe one of those cartel business decisions and the price of games went ape.. between £44.99 and £49.99 for brand new games for the PC?? What?? thats console prices!! Game no longer cheapest.. its crazy! They were always £35.99 - £39.99 for new releases... i Then went to softwarezone in Smyths toy stores.. wow! normal prices again, selection in the Blanchardstown one not as great as Game but still great and for those prices? Plus i bought a PS/2 there cheaper than anywhere else and got a few £5 off vouchers.

Anyway anyone else notice it?

Notice the price of games go up? 55 votes

Hell yes..
    0% 0 votes
    Actually no...
    85% 47 votes
    Im a muppet who does not play games.
    14% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Baught Armada 2 and Civ 3 for €32 each ... so have to say no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Dont actually remember, but I do remember a mate mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats coz you dont buy games you miserable Louth boy.. you get Bilford to rip them for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

And who gets them after that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Eh kids? Xnay on the ripnay? See Attention Warez Monkeys announcement for more details.

Despite the lack of Atari Jaguar option I have chosen on this occasion to vote no. I haven't noticed cos it's been a while since I bought a full price game. But I'm sure they have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Playstation 2 games are now a standard £51 and some are over £60, now microsoft are ok selling games @ €70+.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I hear Microsoft are planning on selling memory cards at £50 STG a pop. Its a good thing they're not neccessay. I had to put off playing GTA3 for days due to lack of a memory card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Saruman
    between £44.99 and £49.99 for brand new games for the PC?? What?? thats console prices!! Game no longer cheapest.. its crazy! They were always £35.99 - £39.99 for new releases...

that will teach you all to buy crap games, you only end up encouraging publishers to up the price. and then when a really good game comes out, they sell it at an ridicilous price.

i remember paying £45 for B&W. immediately after that, EA ended up on my enemy list.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Good god adnans, that sig is a thing of beauty.

Oh and the latest Edge magazine is worth buying for the cover alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

After buying B&W, EA wasn't on my enemy list.

After playing it, EA was on my enemy list. Along with every PC gaming journalist on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Never ever buy full priced games, unless it's a Half-Life or some other eg. MOH:AA, having played the demo, I'll be buying it regardless of price (within reason, of course). Hopefully it'll be no more than £40-£45.

As for price increases in games, that's called inflation. They've been slowly going up in price over the last 5 years.

As for PS2 games, I spit on you, sir. £50 for a game is pure insolence on Sonys part. What's worse is that the unsuspecting public i.e. YOU are buying that much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Actually Saruman is right the prices were jacked up in Game and EB recently from £30-£35 to £40-£45. This is a £10 increase which is why I never buy games there anymore. Smyth’s toy store is the cheapest place to buy new games. I know Game and EB have their lowest price guarantee but I wouldn't even give them the time of day for that kind of price increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Sony did not jack the price up, its the shops.
    It all happened in the "changeover" when the games started selling over £50 and now over £60...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's worth noting that the prices haven't gone up in the UK. Given Irish stores get their stock from the UK, I guess their justification is the current strength of sterling against the Euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by amp
    Eh kids? Xnay on the ripnay? See Attention Warez Monkeys announcement for more details....

...I haven't noticed cos it's been a while since I bought a full price game...

ROFL :p

The price of PS2 games have gone up from £49.99 to £51.18, or €63.47 to €64.99. Some are coming out at €59.99, but not that many. After Game's recent sale a few games were reduced in price to the irish equivilant. eg £49.99 became €49.99. I'll be the first person to admit that game are more expensive than most other places, but i guess they feel that, as shinji pointed out, that the currency has a lot to do with it. Still doesn't explain why HMV and Virgin are sometimes a fiver cheaper. I haven't been in smyths for a while but i'm willing to take your word on it. GBA games are still ridiculously expensive, but i think thats everywhere. We don't often get a lot of people coming in quoting cheaper prices but when we do they are prices from smyths. It's worth noting that game get their prices from head office, as with most businesses.

Xtravision have been dirt cheap with PS2 prices. They had GTA3 for £39.99 before christmas, £10 less than game.

Expect XBox games to be in or around the same.

Also i was told today that the XBOX will retail at €500 and not €479 as was announced. At least thats what we're selling it for.

PC games did all of a sudden rise from £34.99 to £44.99, I don't really have an explanation for that except for "thats what it is" ... Trust me i'd rather have a better excuse. Or even not have to give an excuse.

It's a sorry state of affairs really. Cossacks add-on is €49.99, which is seriously taking the pee, but there's not much we can really do tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Yeah I've noticed a huge increase in price sometime over the last 3 months, not sure when exactly it happened, I'd usually buy my games in Game, but not any more.
    Xtravision have been dirt cheap with PS2 prices. They had GTA3 for £39.99 before christmas, £10 less than game.

Agreed, I used to have to go to Dublin to avoid being completely ripped off for games, now it works out that the local xtra vision usually has it at a cheaper price, damn shame they don't stock pc games :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I noticed it about the time Wolfenstein came out tbh. £50 for the individual tin case did seem a bit much at the time. I'm dreading what MOH:AA will be, I'm guessing about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Q_Ball
    I'm dreading what MOH:AA will be, I'm guessing about €50.

£29.99 on Amazon so I'd guess you're not that far off (30/.65=46)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

While we are on the subject, can anyone recommend a cheap and reliable mail order company to buy PC games from ?

I'm sick of getting ripped off here.

I just had a flick through the argos catalogue and i saw Smackdown 3 and Devil may cry for 74.99 Euro. I whipped out my trusty euro converter and this came to 60 odd quid. dear oh dear thats quite pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Looks like there will be a lot more people going to Symths toystores and their local Xtravision. Please do not go to Game or EB, they are seriously taking the piss with those price increases.

As a matter of interest, where is this legendary smyths? I dont have that kinda money to be forking out for my habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Smyths - isn't that the one on Jervis Street, Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Its all the goverments fault. Them an there damn Luxuries tax(They put it up in the last budget in case ye didnt know).

Games arent a luxury theyre a necessity.:mad:

PS. Smyths(The cork one) usually has a fairly good selection but if Virgin have the game then its usually a few euro (i still think it sounds gay without the s) cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I got Diablo 2 and Fallout Tactics for €24.99 each in Game which was decent enough(full packaging, not budget) and got Fallout 1 and 2 in Smyths for €13for the two.

Smyths has the best budget selection, at least in the tallaght one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

that price increase is the shops getting greedy..

What developers get is fixed in a conract and would only be a few quid per copy, the publisher would sell the game at a pretty fixed price to everyone and the end user gets ****ed up the ass by mister shop owner who makes a fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Ah i'm sure if i was a shop owner i'd do the same. Young people only dying to spend their pocket money. You'd be obliged to help them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Well if the margins are getting that wide (ie if its enevitable due to cartels and richer customers more willing to spend) then I suggest the developers start looking at taking a bigger cut per game. No point starving, hoping your game sells hundreds of thousands when 50,000 will do if you get your fair share of the sale. In the end the developers are a very important part of the game making process don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I just saw something horrible today. Star Wars Starfighter on PC-CDROM for.... £47.99!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

easier said than done GB

Advertisement