Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video capture card

• 28-03-2000 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭

need one thats good for video confrencing, tv in/out is a bonus.

ne1 any suggestions? or sites where i can get suggestions?

or am i just a nutter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The All-in-wonder 128 has a MUCH better tv app than the v3 3500.

But then the v3 3500 has a fast 3d processor and a great big blue thing for the tv in/out.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

i was thinking a cheaper addon card, without shelling out for a new vid card altogether (esp one with "dual head" eek.gif )

id prefer to stick with muh trusty voodoo 1 tongue.gif

or am i just a nutter?

[This message has been edited by Acous (edited 28-03-2000).]

Ah right ted, ummm tv out is cheap, tv in isn't (needs a built in tuner thingy)

What exactly do ye mean by video conferencing? Streaming video over the internet or over a lan or something?

hmmm don't think it matters much to the video card, it's how big the pipe is between yerself and the other guy/gal...

Whats yer 2d card? Is it built into the voodoo 1? You might be able to connect a tv daughter card onto it. Getting it though might be a bit tricky.

You can also get a dedicated tv card, but again they tend to be overpriced.

Ahhh i've just re-read the topic title, "video capture card". ahhhhh, no, you want a webcam, USB model preferably Philips do a good one, Logitech have a number of models. Doesn't actually feed.

And if you mean recording tv signal to avi then your going to have to fork out cause encoding a tv signal is an intensive job.

Also see Devs Can you help? post.

amp - who drank too much Pepsi Max today.

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 28-03-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I don't know about Acous, but I'd be thinking about recording clips from tv/vcr to my hd( i.e. video capture ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

ok what i want is...
    1. to be able to plug the video camera into the computer and let the family talk to the relations in australia, and say "oohh isnt this new fangled 'intarneh' a great thing" connection isnt a problem, i know it'll be crap (til november that is biggrin.gif)

--- below this arent neccisary but would be nice ---
    2. to watch tv on the comp.
    3. to record avis or whatever of home vids, for editing, and then to be able to put em out onto VHS (this costs i know...)
    4. be able to play games, do powerpoint things or whatever on the tv.
    5. could also be used to take stills etc... the list is endless smile.gif

its a lot to ask i know but it would be a helluva lot better then a little usb cam with crap quality.

ive seen some alright but most of em seem to be NTSC...

or am i just a nutter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

afaik the matrox marvel g400 tv is what yer looking for www.matrox.com may give morte info.
    not too sure about the video confrencing.

you can also have a look at the voodoo3 3500 and the ati all in wonder 128

Ok so 3d accelleration isn't a big deal then and you've got a camcorder.

hmm the webcam isn't the prob it's the fact that sending video over the internet takes a helluva lotta bandwidth so even if you had a studio quality camera, the folks in oz would get a new frame every 5 mins or so,

You (cool camcorder-> 56k modem (very small pipe) -> Oz.

Get an ATI All in wonder 128, not that expensive. It's got all the right ports for connecting to svhs/composite etc.

Not sure how it's going to interface with Netmeeting or whatever you use to talk to oz, but I'd imagine there's some apps out there that can do it.

Either way watching/recording tv on it will be the easiest thing. Editing your home vids will be harder as it requires a seperate recording app (like Ulead Video something) cos it'll require higher quality.
    The higher the quality the more pressure on your system.

Using the tv as the monitor will limit you to 640x480 res unless you have a High Definition Television which are VERY expensive cos there usually widescreen. And the refresh rate is rubbish on normal tv's so it's a bit blurry. They're grand for DVD's but most games these days require a higher res.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

You should be able to plug the Creative Webcam Go Plus into your computer and then start recording a stream. You can grab the stream as an AVI and make it a Real Stream. Aussie relations could see the Real Stream if you had a Real Server as a host.

Alternatively, you can set up the Webcam Go Plus under NetMeeting and if both the Irish and Aussie connections were on the same Microsoft NetMeeting server, you could do jerky videoconferencing.

Some more thoughts about narrowband videoconferencing with an inexpensive Creative Labs teenaged webcam ran in Connect The Irish Examiner in early December.

/bernie goldbach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 stephenmc

Hi there,

I've got an unused Osprey 101 card with software - created specifically and only for streaming media to the net. Yours for £50 smile.gif

Regards,
    Stephen

Advertisement