Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking

• 13-12-2000 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I have a PII 350 mhz and I'm would like to try overclocking it a little bit. What would it be safe to overclock it to and how would i do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its safe to overclock it as long as it runs completely stable, and cool (i.e not much hotter than before.). The 350mhz speed is gotten by multiplying the motherboard speed which is 100mhz, by a fixed multiplier 3.5 If your motherboard lets you change the front side bus speed, you can overclock it. If not, there is a way to fool the early p2 350's into thinking they are on a 66mhz bus, which means you could change the multiplier. Thats highly unlikely though, so your only hope really is that your motherboard lets you change the bus speed, either in the bios or with jumpers. Theres a possibility you would be able to adjust the speed in windows also, with a special program. Let us know what make machine it is, and I can advise further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Silverthorn

ta

i was talking to the guy im getting the ram off and he was saying that it isnt a good idea to over-clock it

im getting 64mb ram fr christmas witha cd writer and im going to get a 500 mhz in a few months and that should do for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, unless he has tried to overclock it himself, he's just selling you a scare story about overclocking. Most decent quality ram will overclock to 112mhz at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

if u need files for this kind of malarky
    then goto www.3dfiles.com if you could
    overclock a keyboard then these buckos would
    have the drivers for the job!

"All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id overclock it if i was u you can get it up to about 410 no probloms and thats without extra cooling .

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Overclocking your best bet is to invest in a good motherboard like the k7 2 reasons for this is 1 its easy to overclock thro softmenu and also if you want to uprade your cpu later on its also a peice of cake.Ok the inital outlay may be tough going but in the long run itll save you loads in the race to keep up.

Stone

ps Ive got my 1 gig tbird running at 1.1 its rumured to be able to go faster than 1.2 but for some reason my system hangs at 1.2 so im not sure if the ram can do 112mhz as this is the setting im useing in softmenu [user difine] clockmultiplier set to 12!! Do i need to up the core vaults do you think ? im useing a fop 38 fan to cool me chip btw 7000 rpm hehehe bloody tower hovers 2 inches of the floor biggrin.gif

Advertisement