Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion IS legal in Ireland

• 09-02-2002 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Sorry to be pedantic on that other thread but I hate the way either side of a political debate will say whatever they want to get agreement. They're not interested in getting the democratic outcome, merely imposing their opinions on everyone. A real political activists should be prepared to accept they are not always right. Anyway, on to abortion...

It has been legal in ireland for years, where there is a medical indication that the mother's life is in danger. How do I know? We were offered it when we were told by Doctors that another pregnancy would likely kill my wife. What the current referndum seeks to do is remove some of that protection. According to the new proposal (and, by the way, I don't represent any group on this, just myself):

*A woman who seeks an abortion in Ireland will be liable to up to 12 years in prison.
    *A woman who tries to do it herself and survives somehow will also be liable to up to 12 years in prison (despite obviously having serious psychological problems that forced her to try it).
    *Anyone who offers an abortion or helps to provide an abortion to any womanin Ireland will also be liable to prosecution (including me, if I tell someone where to get information, since I am not a registered clinic)

There's a hell of a lot more that you should know about the coming referednum and I suggest you ALL read everything that comes from an unbiased source (if possible) or everything from both sides of the row. Then tel everyone you know what you havce read (not your opinion) and tell them to read the stuff themselves. Ignorance, apathy and misunderstanding will lead to serious problems on this one.

Rant Over!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Probably the clearest, most unambiguous and intelligent post of all on this particular topic. I've already stated my view on the other topic http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=41393 so I won't restate. But whether you agree with abortion or not this current referendum seems half-baked and will, thankfully, most likely not be passed. I wish as a nation we could address this issue once and for all in a proper manner and in a manner that doesn't ignore the reality.

Advertisement