Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster

• 18-12-2000 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

I got an mtx virus the other day and downloaded a virus cleaner called NOD32. It worked quite well actually, the only problem was that in a moment of madness i accidently told it to delete a file that it couldnt clean and apply the decision to all other files.
    The upshot is that all infected files were deleted. my computer starts up all right, and everything seems ok. The problem is that i cant open the log of what it deleted (the log file thinks its the calculator app for some reason.)
    Some of the things that were deleted that i remember were the winipcfg.exe, regedit.exe and win32.dll. There were loads more and i have no idea how to go about re-installing them.
    Do i need to do a full re-install of windows now? I dont have any method of archival - doh! frown.gif
    or is there some program that will work out whats gone and what needs to go back in?
    Im not a tech wizard as ye can probably guess, so any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Assuming you're using Win98, you could do worse than giving the System File Checker a try... (start/run/sfc.exe) ... but that's also assuming sfc.exe hasn't been deleted with the rest of the infected files smile.gif
    But anyway, SFC should check for missing/corrupt system files and replace the files from your win98 .cab files.

Also you could try re-installing various windows accessories, (start/settings/control-panel/add|remove programs/windows-setup), and see if that restores the missing files.

Or... you could manually open and extract the missing files from the original win98 cabs yourself (using something like winzip), and hope that their are no version conflicts.

Or... you could install windows again, say to a new path c:\win98 instead of c:\windows, then when you boot up with your new install of windows, you can salvage some of your old windows things before deleting the old windows folder... no formatting needed. (that's also assuming that you've got the original win98 CD and not some dodgy recovery disk)

SONIC.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Cheers mate, that worked a treat. Im now only missing some non MS stuff like quicktime and some unwise stuff, which im sure i can probably find again.
    Thanks again, youve ensured a gaming xmas for me smile.gif)
    ps what is unwise? some uninstaller thing?

Advertisement