Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motherboards

• 18-12-2000 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

> i'm thinkin of gettin a new motherboard..
    > more out of curiousity and interested in overclocking my pIII450
    > than anything else.. Also might be good for a bit of future profing.
    >
    > anyway.. i went to toms hardware and overclockers.co.uk
    > http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Motherboards_5.html
    >
    > i spotted the Asus CUSL2 (FC-PGA)
    > which they claim cupports a PIII but seems to be a socket
    > 370 ???
    >
    > So basically i'm looking for a board good for overclocking/support for
    > 133mhz sdram, udma/100 and possibly more than 2 ide controllers.. ( i
    > vaguely remember seeing a motherbaord with support for 4 ide controllers,
    > 2 were udma 66, the other 2, 33. )
    >
    > any ideas ?

cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I just got an Abit VT6X4 and a pII 450. Its only got two ide ports but its running very stably at a bus speed of 115Mhz giving me just over 516Mhz to play with. My system temperature is at a luvely 28 degrees C, but i have a 5 1/4 inch addition with dual fans to make sure the insides are kept nice and cool.(im not sure if thats necessary, but never say no to extra cooling!)

Ill up it to 124Mhz and see what happens, but the voodoo 3 craps out at 133Mhz bus wink.gif

All this o/clocking is done using the Soft Menu bios util which makes it so much easier.

I think abit have a K7 Raid board with 4 IDE slots, but that may be just for socket A chips, im not sure about slot A.

Hope that helps,

Eric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 free_jones

I recently got a ASUS A7V from Munstercomputers.com
    2xUltraDMA/100 IDE plus
    2xUltraDMA/66 ports

also supports AGP Pro slot/4xAGP
    7 USB ports onboard hub

And you can monitor any kind of overclocking with their software, ie temperature etc...

**** hot board at a good price. http://www.munstercomputers.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Good price my hairy eye. Rip off prices would be more accurate from scanning their page.
    Although YOU probably got a good price seeing as you work for them.
    Nice try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Also, verb was looking for a board for his pIII 450, you fu<king muppet. If thats how much you know about computers, I pity any of your customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

just an update, gerry thanks for the info, but im using a pci version at the mo. I did up the bus speed and am now running very stably at 540Mhz, from 450mhz(Ive just played half life for 4 hours wink.gif.

System(Inside Case) temp is now 33 degrees so its running hotter allright, unfortinately I cant monitor teh cpu temp.

That board gerry mentioned i believe can, sounds like the best one to go for. Have fun and dont break anything wink.gif

Eric

• Advertisement

Unfortunately verb, overclockers don't seem to have any slot1 boards. What you should get is the abit be6-2 raid from dabs., as it has softmenu, and it is a bx board, so you will get better performance. I overclocked my p3 450 to 558 on an earlier version of this board. I use the be6-2 raid in my machine at the moment, its an absolutely fantastic board. It has 4 ide connectors, 2 of which support ata/100 raid. I found the major problem with my p3 450 was heat, I couldnt find any better heatsinks for it in ireland, it would run at 600 if I had good enough cooling. I recommend you get the globalwin vos32+ cooler from overclockers.co.uk. btw snaga, on your board you can set the agp divider to 1/2, which will stop the voodoo crashing your machine.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 18-12-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Cheers for the replies lads. all pretty useful. I'm looking at the abit be6 - II raid
    now on dabs. 100 squids is alright.. well 120 i suppose.. hum could come to around 140 with delivery as well i suppose.

hehe, thanks for advice though, It looks like a decent board.. should last me a fair amount of time ? It can handle the highest range p3's ?

thanks !
    Gav

yeah, it will handle any p3.

Advertisement