Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Cable Whats involved?

Options
  • 10-02-2002 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

What do NTL have to do to upgrade their cable? Do they have to lay new cable all over or just upgrade a box??

Cos if they have to dig up roads i can't see it happening too soon. they talk about the end of the year for ALL of dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

good question

I'd also be interested to know if cable they've laid in new housing developments is 'two-way' compliant (as in over the course of the last few years that they've been talking about upgrading their Dublin network to 'two-way').

If it's not, then why not?

And if it is, then WHAT'S THE BLEEDIN' HOLD UP, LADS?!?!? ;)

Maybe when our people talk to their people tomorrow they could try to find out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

its my understanding that it is simply as case of getting fibre to were it is needed, and upgrading ntls version of an "exchange" to provide the sirvice, i dont think they have to actually change the cable coming into your home

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Does it matter what sort of subscription you have as well? I have the basic analogue package, plus Sky Digital. Would I have to sign up to their digital package to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I'd guess they need to get fibre out to a distribution point in your local area, install a node and tranceiver, and perhaps change all the taps and distribution amps in the area to enable the reverse channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Does it matter what sort of subscription you have as well? I have the basic analogue package, plus Sky Digital. Would I have to sign up to their digital package to get it?

You dont have to sign up to their digital package to receive the cable internet service. They only difference is in what you pay, i.e. for the 512k always on service you pay €30 p/month if you are already subscribed to their digital package otherwise it is €35 p/month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Thanks for the info. It sounds too good to be true. Probably because it is until they get their arse in gear where I live.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

pine valley dub 16 is one way. 4-6 months b4 its upgraded fully.

Advertisement