Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That is "so" 1998!

Options
  • 10-02-2002 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

David Gray's White Ladder is still in the Irish top 20, no 14 to be exact. I think its been there since '98. Who the %£$& is still buying it. It is a great album but its been seriously overplayed on radio. Its been at the bottom of the pile of my collection for a couple of years at this stage. Anyone know how many units its actually sold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Tracy Chapmans Tracy Chapman's CD was like that in the charts too wasnt it? I mean come on people are ye buying the same cds over and over?

The David Gray CD i got as a pressie twice...after i had bought it for meself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

Didn't Bat Out of Hell stay in the UK charts for 5 years or something ridiculous? Some albums just seem to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think the tracy chapman one was in the charts for ages because it got reduced to like £7 or something like that and loads of people bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

the tracy chapman cd actualy reached no 1 eleven years after it was realesed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

regarding units i heard somthing like 150,000 although i dont kow if its right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Loads of people probably buy like me, and go into a music shop with no idea of what I'm gonna buy, if anything. I'll normally go 'Oh, yeah I must buy such-and-such album, but then forget about it when I go into the shop. Tracy Chapman - there's another one I must buy :p. For example, I went into a shop on thurs, with the intention of buying something of incubus's, but came out with POD's new one. (Golden Discs in Liffey Valley had 6 Iron Maiden Albums and 2 spineshank ones, but no Incubus. WTF?)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have a theory that every household in Ireland was given 2 copies each of "The White Ladder" and "Californication" instead of iodine tablets.

In the event of a nuclear war, 2 amazingly bland albums reduces the risk of thyroid cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

White Ladder is a great album - it definitely got a bit too much play and everybody owns it - it became really trendy. Be happy for david grey that it keeps on selling - he deserves his due after so many years of being virtually ignored. It is rare that an artist like him gains that level of popularity. It is far from my favorite of his albums but it is a good crossover to mainstream cd, teenyboppers bought it, the intelligista bought it, dance fans bought it - good for him - dont begrudge the guy success Look at how many copies Hybrid-Theory has sold worldwide now that is musical tragedy at least White Ladder is not a cd people will be embarassed to own in years to come. I like Sell Sell Sell best - nobody else likes that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sell Sell Sell, my favourite too. And to be honest, if it wasn't for White Ladder, I may never have go there. David gray is great, and deserves his success. It is not often that a solo artist making genuine music gets a chance to break through. More power to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

ha someone else who likes Sell Sell Sell - I think it is the guitar on that album. Yeah i would never have bought that if it werent for White Ladder either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

supposedly David Gray is more popular here than anywhere else in the world or so I have heard.
    I would just like to say that I don't have White Ladder. So clearly not everybody has it, but I would say lots of people have multiple copies. Maybe it's like that GAA add for Galway and some person keeps going in to all the shops and buying up all the copies of White Ladder and then just throwing them in the back of their car. :p

Advertisement