Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banning IP addresses in Win2k

• 10-02-2002 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Lo,
    Is there an easy way of banning/stopping a particular IP address from accessing my shares over a LAN?. I becoming a bit pissed with people either playing games/movies/music off my computer instead of copying them to their own computers. I want to ban the people who play stuff as I see them doing it (through Computer Management). I don't want to have to password my shares cos that defeats the purpose of sharing over a LAN.

I downloaded some plugin before for Computer Management console that dealt with IP Filtering but i couldn't get it to work and I don't think it does what I thought it would do. Its was a bitch to get to (4 or 5 "advanced user" tabs and was hard configure then). Surely there is an easier way to reject access to a certain set of IPs?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Get the free downloadable version of Zonealarm, you can use it to restrict access to your machine.
    In NT it would have been simple to just remove the Execute and Take Owenership/delete rights (under NTFS) but unfortunately in 2k Msoft tied Execute to Read/Traverse folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmm, the Free ZoneAlarm doesn't allow you to block specific IP addresses ... only ZoneAlarm Pro (downloadable 30-day trial) can do that.
    ZoneAlarm(Free) lets you offer unrestricted access to some IP's... local IP's or whatever... but all other IP's operate by the standard rule sets.
    Or if I'm talking shíte - you can share with me exactly how ZA(free) can block individual IP's, and I'll be most pleased. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

nortons internet security will allow you to ban ips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yer probably righty Santy, I've only used Pro. I was under the impression the free version left out some extras like the WhoIs service and not the integral IP stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm not aware of anyway. At a guess.

1. Go into file permissions for the share (only accessable if drive is NTFS?). Set the shares to not execute. That should stop people running the files in that area.

2. create a shortcut pointing to...

mmc c:\winnt\system32\fsmgmt.msc

From that you can see what users are on quickly and what they are accessing. You can kick them off there.

3. From MMC if you open the secpol.msc you might be able to do it there? I don't know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement