Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom High-Speed - ISDN - BAH!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

afaik the only cost difference (after connection / setup charges etc) between say an analogue eircomnet conn & the isdn hi-speed one is you pay rental monthly instead of bi-monthly??
    I'm not 100% on that so someone please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

I too grabbed at the Eircon hi-speed carrot & I've been getting milked for around IR£250/month from the huckin hastards.

In spite of the extortionate costs, are us "hi-speeders" (:rolleyes: ) not better off paying double the rent (€50/month extra?) for what is pretty much double the speed? (4k/s vs 8k/s) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

This is what they pulled on me without warning coz i was using ISDN before it became HI-SPEED i used to pay bi monthly.Anyway as far as downloading go,s i used to get about 7kbps on isdn and i get about 5.5kbps on anolog so not exactly a big difference unless you use both lines.Problem with line rental is it doesnt sound too bad untill they lump your calls and everything together and slap vat on the whole lot 1 month my vat alone was £80 more than most people pay for their entire bill.

Stone

7kbps on isdn and i get about 5.5kbps on anolog so not exactly a big difference unless you use both lines

I never got more than 11/12kps with twin so I just use single which is always 8/8.5 and around 4.5 with analogue. whatever way you look at it it's still a load of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by G

I never got more than 11/12kps with twin
    out odf interest what ta are you using-is it connectefd to your serial port?

Originally posted by Calibos
    Then I was thrilled this week when the papers started printing pieces on the VRT (Vehicle Rip-Off Tax) another pet hate off mine. This was brought on by the EU taking away the concessions to car manufacturers allowing them to continue there restrictive dealership and pricing practices meaning cheaper cars all over Europe but paradoxically meaning..........yes you guessed it, Irish consumers will actually pay more!!:mad: :mad:
    small point -without vrt (which is taken by the *government*)
    Irrish car prices would be amongst the cheapest in Europe
    jd

• Advertisement

Eicon diva internal.. always 8/8.5k single, twin hops from 10-12 :(

any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ISDN would be good and useful if it wasn't classed as a 'special needs' service by eircom. Apparently German phone lines come as ISDN by default. You say you pay twice the rent for twice the bandwidth. Why should you? An ISDN line is no different nor more expensive to 'maintain' than an analogue line. ISDN shouldn't be classed as a luxury phone line, it should probably come as standard in new houses, and be offered to existing analogue customers as a cheap upgrade, with the same line rental. Why are eircom still using analogue lines and trying to develop new technology to use with it. Analogue is obsolete. Eircell dumped the analogue network last year because it was obsolete. Modern phone exchanges use digital technology. Yet ISDN is still touted as a ultra modern and luxury service. Bull. An all-ISDN network would probably reduce costs.

Not that it makes a difference without FRIACO.......:(

Originally posted by G
    Eicon diva internal.. always 8/8.5k single, twin hops from 10-12 :(

any thoughts?

mmm
    I get 7k/14k (on a compressed gz file) using an internal generic winbond w6692 pci whic cost me £30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Very strange i used to get 7kbps and 14kbps and i too used a Diva icon internal.I cant see how your getting a very good 8/8.5 on one hand and only 12 when using both line very strange :).

Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

JD,

I know VRT is the *government*. Its calculated on the Pre-Tax Price + Vat so its a tax on a tax. My point is that the result of the moves by the EU to get a better deal for consumers is that pretax prices across Europe should harmonise. While Germany's high pretax price will probably be reduced to the EU average and thus the net price of their cars will fall, our low pretax price will increase to the average, meaning higher pretax price + vat + vrt = Even more expensive cars. Oh and to re-iterate the main point of that point??:D :D What event will make the broadband issue front page news?

NewsFlash--Buddist monk sets fire to himself in front of GPO over broadband issue!!--Newsflash

........maybe that example was a little bit twisted:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement