Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked - Low Blow

• 11-02-2002 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I discovered on Friday evening at about 6.30 that my password on my hotmail had been changed. I'd had a row with a former work partner/friend who works in IS security that day & thought "low blow", he'd showed me him doing it before for fun so immediatly I thought of him.

The SO said it was a really big co-incidence, but that it most probably was him.

I contacted Hotmail through an alternate address & by telling them a couple of emails/contacts/last log in on my own was able to persuade them to re-set my password. When I finally got in on Sunday, I found out that several emails had been read, a couple had been deleted, my personal details had been changed (along with the password). I have no idea if emails preporting to be from me were sent, (hotmail think they were).

How ****ty is this ? What a complete tosser. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yes this dose happen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yes, this does happen from time to time. Hotmails securtiy has improved in recent years but if you poked around enough I'm sure holes are there to be found.

I wouldn't worry about e-mails sent from the account. You wouldn't need access to the account to generate e-mails from it. The only advantage to be gained from accessing the a/c is that whoever did it would have access to your personal address-book.

Advertisement