Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing xp and dual booting with 2000

• 11-02-2002 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

'lo all,
    I've just a nice shiny new pc which has oodles of drive space and
    has win xp (and nothing else) installed.

I have the install cds for xp and 2000 but I don't seem to have a driver cd. It's a brand new compaq pc.

I'd like to reformat, and then install 2000 and xp and get
    the machine dual booting (with a view to triple booting later).

Now the questions:
    1) what's all this about activation and xp - can I reformat and reinstall or is this going to give me grief?
    2) to get them dual booting - do I just install 2000 and then install xp and it'll all work automagically like with nt and 2000?
    3) not having a driver cd - is this because all the drivers are already on the os cds or am I likely to have problems - I imagine it'd be easy enough to get drivers for 2000 but what about xp?

any more caveats with doing this?
    I've never used xp before and so I'm being cautious about it.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

the activation things, is meant to work up to five installations, if it oesnt, just ring up were you bought it and they have to give you a new code.

if that turns into aload of hassel ill give you a special code since you own the OS.

yes is exact same as nt-2000, install the older os first and away you go, remember to partition and clean install.

you might want to think about nsft(i can never remember how to spell that) instead of fat 32. unless your on a network with win9x machines or older linux models.

As for the drivers, yea thats the way it works, all on the os CD, you can tell if the cd is marked with a (For Dell,time... ect PC's)

the problem is you often get aload of crap with it to besides drivers, that you wouldnt normaly install. it also, in some cases limits your options during install. basically designed for the pure ignorant, you just bung in the cd and sit back.

But as i dotn know whos you bought it from i cant definitly say so for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I really don't see the point of dual-booting XP with 2K. I installed XP alongside 2K a while back, and I've never booted 2K since. The OSs are so similar there's no point in having both installed, just pick one (I'd go for XP personally) and stick with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well Xp is still buggy, so some people might what a back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Xp is basically 2k with a few extra bells and whistles (The only major dif being how it handles shared dll's from what Ive seen).
    As for the drivers its just your supplier being lazy, as all the OEMs are now. Take note of your hardware, primarily Vid/Sound/Modem or anything else non std and download some drivers beforehand (Chances are the ones preoloaded are very old anyway and worth replacing).

Advertisement