Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win xp crashing

• 11-02-2002 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

Have had this bug for about a month now.
    Roughly every 15 times I run half life my pc decides to restart.

Anyone else having a similar problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Using XP but have not yet tried half life on it , have ran quake 2 on it though I think its based on the same engine, that works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I dunno, but I have heard of people who have the very same problem.

One problem I find with it, is when you are trying to quit out normally with XP, the computer locks up so I have to just alt-tab out of it and shut it down from the task manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Turn "Automatically reboot on STOP error" off. Should be somewhere in My computer->Properties. That should give you a more informative error message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

thanks for the info
    took off auto restart with system failure

anyone know why its doing this ?

It only happens when running half life or other half life mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Have you tried running it in win98 compatability mode ??
    (ie right click on the .exe for the option).

• Advertisement

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

are u running an NVIDIA card ?
    LOADS of ppl have issued with these - it jsut takes liek trying about 5 different drivers to get it working :rolleyes:

i EVENTUALLY got it working

what drivers u using now m8

i got the detonater ones
    my card is a gf3 ti 500

Happened three times today.
    This time i got the blue screen of death rather than just auto reboot.

Tis a tad annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

i have not used half life on XP however assuming you have it patched to the latest i would imagine its something to do with openGL drivers which half life uses usually... if not then i dont know..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Goosey

I had this problem after installing HL on XP pro.

I seem to of over come this with the help of you friendly bums! :p

First I ran the windows update for the latest fixes of the OS and installed components.

I then took two good pieces of advise;

piece about the Startup Recovery settings. Don't have winxp reboot each time it gets upset.

Then I installed the latest Nvidia drivers for my Geforce 2 Ultra.

So far no reboots no hassle.

Goosey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

if you have win 2k xp is crap if you have win 98 xp is great. but for an all round os i would stick win 2k but its not for gamers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i disagree, i can run most newer games on win2k pro without a problem, but im using sp2 which alot of people arnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

My sister was having problems with her computer freezing up when she ran Halflife (and other games) with XP on her brand new computer.

So I figured it was the display driver and got the latest one from the Nvidia site (which wasn't digitally signed). But no, it kept freezing.

So I went to the Windows Update site (couldn't get into it originally) and d/l the Nvidia driver from there.

No problems since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

what are the system specs telgere?

Have you patched the os and tried to re-install all drivers?
    Does this have anything to do with xp or is it just for 2000?

Have you had anyone look at your bios or gone to www.geforcefaq.com and checked on your bios settings?

could be the aperture size if it's a gf3....... try them all just don't go below 16mb or you'll disable agp :eek:

Do you have acpi enabled/disabled?

If you have any power saving options enabled within the gui then go to the control panel and disable them all.

gl with it.

As a last resort I would test nearly any detonator from 12.41^ to start with and if that don't help then you may want to go try some of the earlier ones ie detonator 631.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Remove all software from startup first.
    Goto run and type msconfig and goto startup and remove all things that arent microsoft.
    Then try the Det 23.11 drivers. www.guru3d.com has all the det drivers i think.
    I've never had a problem with HL in XP Pro apart from using CPUIDLE and the enhancements which used to give a BSOD.
    If all else fails try format c: /q and start again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Oisin, have a word with Kam or Taz, They've been using XP and have had loads of problems like that, Im sure one of them has the answer you need.

- Rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

All I know know is that I've been running HL and all the mods on a P4 with XP, running a GF2mx for the last 15 weeks with no crashing aside from the whole NETSEND packet error.
    I put it down to a fault with HL not XP.

I do however have a problem with UT.
    A few times it has locked up the PC in the middle of a game, keyboard and mouse become 100% unresponsive and I gotta hit my lil pin hole restart button.

Advertisement