Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing win 98 well aint working

• 28-12-2000 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

trying to install on a athlon 700 . thers just a gc in it nothing else and its crashed about 8 times and wont install

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well that's Windows for you. smile.gif

But what I'd do, is have a look in the BIOS settings, maybe try the defaults and/or double check the settings you have.
    Then perhaps repartition and reformat the target drive again.
    Other than that, try installing with a different video card. (shruggs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ok hears what ive done . ive tried 2 different gc's ive taken out everything in the computer that isent needed its crashing on the system config part and some other one befour this one . i had a os on this computer befour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

More crash details needed. Is there an error message?

well ill find out for ya now . what error dose it wana give me now ............... o waight theres life .... maby its going to work this time ..... o not my mistake just crashed and the error says
    well got 2 of em

mshta has caused a error in wmp.ocx
    mahta will not close

and

windows has encounted a error accessing the registry .

its restarting now what error am i gona get now

o the reg error

restarting again looking good no reg error
    windows loaded
    i know theres a error waighting to come up
    woho went to restart and got this
    blue screen
    error has occurred .

filename vfat(01) + 0000 cf8a

another one now

windows protection error need to restart your computer
    system haulted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

yeah and try swapping out the ram. I've seen ram pass the bios test but fail when windows accesses it.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

Ok

try dis format all harddrives you have now go into bios make sure your hardive ram ect ect is showing up ok [ie your cd,hardive arnt set to slave]use your win 98 startup disk to start ya pc then select start with cd support then it should be straight forward.Also make sure the bios is reading your ram right as i had the same as amp [above] my sisters bios didnt like going from 128 to 64megs could have been dodgy ram my system kept returning a cab file error everytime i tried to load win98.

Stone

[This message has been edited by THE SPERMINATOR (edited 30-12-2000).]

formatted load of times. ram works hd are fine cd roms fine .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

First thing you should do is to run a ScanDisk and a surface scan on that HD... it's possible there could be errors on the Drive.

Also take a look at the CD your using, make sure there's no scratches on it etc.

If you have a Norton Anti-Virus BootDisk use that to check the boot sector for any nasty virii.. if you don't have one get a hold of one coz they're handy things to have.

Depending on what resources you have available to yourself it might be an idea to try the memory etc. in a different machine and make sure everything is okay... it could be dodgy memory, a dodgy motherboard or dodgy processor.... tis hard to know smile.gif

Advertisement