Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Worst Game Endings

Options
  • 12-02-2002 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering what were the best or worst game endings ye have seen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The worst I've seen lately is Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

RTCW or Hitman - both very, VERY poor endings

but one of the best (and I am going retro here)

Creatures and Creatures 2 on the C64 - funny endings all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    but one of the best (and I am going retro here)

Creatures and Creatures 2 on the C64 - funny endings all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LONG LIVE RETRO!! :D

Creatures 1/2 ... both hysterically funny. Those torture screens!

Especially in Creatures 1 - the guy with the chainsaw and the ice hockey mask :D

Or the SawMill and conveyer belt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

creatures was a great game.. best for the C64.. especially the first one.. i played C2 first then went back to first one and that was better still!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ph3n0m gave the exact answers I was going to. Hitman and RTCW.

The end of Alice was pretty dire aswell. Game endings in general seem bad lately, heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

im not the first and i wont be the last that says that the RTCW ending was poo

[edit]
    didnt think much of the Red Alert 2 ending (both sided)- that didnt stop me finishing it 4 times tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

in all honesty MoH's ending makes wolfenstiens look good....the game just stops...:mad:

best ending...Im not sure tbh...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I thought Half-Life Opposing Force's ending was a bit poor (and dead easy too). As was Quake 2's.

Best endings...
    Quake's was kinda cool "You are a Quake Master - id Sofwtare salutes you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I liked the Max Payne ending, the way it links up to the intro - Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Worst ending... any FPS game ever other than Half-Life and Serious Sam. Oh, and NOLF had a decent-ish ending too. Serious Sam 2 has a disappointingly poo ending :(

Metal Gear Solid 2 also has a shockingly poor ending.

Best ending... the ending of FFVII sent shivers down my spine, while recently, the ending of ICO was stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Anyone remember that old Bruce Lee game on the amstrad/comador machines , you cleared the game, he jumped up and down in a room full of treaasure for a minute and then you get one or two credits and it starts again - hows that for crap - not that the game had a plot! ;)

C'mon on folks, the ending to Another World on the Super Nintendo has got to be one of the best endings of that era (or indeed, of this era too!)...pure emotion flowed through the ending and you did actually feel like something had happened...the way the character's friend picked him up and then carried him to the back of a bird and then flew off...the music was fantastic, the build-up to the ending (the struggle to open the laser!) ...just brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yea the half life ending was ****...

and no more dissin' RtCW - Im not finished it yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

is it just me though - or apart from certain recent games, that the best endings in games come from very old machines with low spec??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Worst: Super Maria Land: "oh Mario!"..."oh **** off ya big spider!!"
    Quake3 ending or any street fighter ending!!!
    Deus Ex..you done it your way through out the game, you've took so many different routes and its still the same three endings, big let down

Best: Oddworld was cool and got a good endimg with it, AvP 2 endings are good as well....but the best has to be Super Metriod on snes...I've never seen a explosion like that ever.....also good twist in the end boss too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Opposing Force's ending sucked donkey balls!

best - yet to see... rearly finish games :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by SearrarD
    Deus Ex..you done it your way through out the game, you've took so many different routes and its still the same three endings, big let down
    S'funny - I played through 4 different endings....

It was a little disappointing that after all the "routes" you could take, you always ended up choosing one of 4 pre-set endings, but I thought it was a lot of fun getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Enough of pants ones,
    Duke Nukem 3D had a class ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

ok, you have Wongs ending...anti-gov ending
    you have the ending where JC joins mj12 with government spies
    you have the ending where he helps the bad guy complete his transformation...and then joins mj12
    is there another on if so i have to play the damn game all over again....Kharn

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Old systems generally have spouted the best endings to games... And sometimes, even Intro's...

One NES game I had (And for the life of me, I can't remember it's name) had one seriously class intro that really gave me the shakes, from the music to the manga style animations... You play a knight who has to save some princess or something - No it's not Ghosts&Goblins or one of THOSE types of games, although they were great also...

RTCW had a dire ending, as many people have said already...

Warhammer: Dark omen gave off a slightly poor ending, seeing as it takes quite a lot of effort to complete the game (But It hasn't stopped me play it over and over to check out all the routes and units you can collect - LOVE THAT GAME!)

Many of the NES, AMIGA, C64 and Spectrum games offer addictive lastability with a worthwhile ending, whilst the majority of games to-date are too busy dwelling on how they can offer the best ingame grahics or things along those lines, to even bother mustering up a worthwhile ending...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

Bad ending Silent hill i got a lame ending.

good ending i agree with shinji on this FFVII and also FFIX
    cant wait for FFX finishing FFVIII now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭][Spoof Jesus][

WORST ENDING EVER has to be Delta Force: Land Warrior...the ****ty ending complemented the terrible game...RTCW was crap...I mean the Uber-Soldat was harder than Heinrich at the end...

BEST ENDING EVER:Doom was pretty cool...duke Nukem was also good...and Diablo 2 was very very cool...check out the cgi sweat on the old man before Diablo sets him on fire...classic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭][Spoof Jesus][

umm...whatever that smiley thing was...I meant D O O M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I thought the ending to Baldur's Gate (1) was f*cking class!

When you twig the significance of what you are seeing, and the symbolic nature of what happens.

Halflife had an ending worthy of the finest X-Files writers IMHO

I liked the ending to Fallout too. I didn't see that ending coming ;)

(all of the games listed are PC only ... excluding the old 8/16 bit machines which have way too many fine intro/endings to list)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Best:
    MGS
    FFVIII
    Silent Hill (any of them, the bad ending is trés freaky, and the alien abduction ending, LOL)

Worst:
    Shenmue I (Not so much bad as 'Cunts! Gimme Shenmue II now!')
    Half-Life/Opposing Force/Blue Shift
    Street Fighter endings :)

Worst:
    Zelda (both of em on N64)
    Goldeneye
    Metal Gear Solid. Omg what was the deal with that crap, riding off into the frickin sunset and what not. Cráp ending.

Best:
    Final Fantasy 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

The other alternative ending in Deus Ex is where JC joins with the computer thingy.

As far as endings go ide have to say FF7 aswell, That last Sephiroth guy was deadly. And it was very emotional :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

In Deus Ex, there's also an ending with Tong in which you do a Snake Plisken and revert the world to the stone age. You can also join with the Illuminati and "rule the world with an invisible hand". Great stuff altogether :)

Good ending: Max Payne & Deus Ex.

Best Ending Ever - Sin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Motocross Mania on the gameboy..lol

No Congratulations.
    No You've Won!!.
    Just a 'Game Over' :D

It actually worked..after spending hours playing your just left with a game-over screen....oh how i laughed...and cried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jeweller

the worst ending by far was metal gear solid

after hours of sweat and hard work killing snippers etc.

it just ends with a happy ending riding off into the sunset

i mean wtf is that all about?

i was expecting something a little more realistic:mad:

Advertisement