Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish scene anybody?

Options
  • 12-02-2002 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

It seems there is a bit of a scene starting to happen in this fair city at the moment. Anybody notice this? Maybe we have the makings of a Detroit or something if we keep on goin...
    Anyhow, continuing in the same tradition of shameless self-publicity, (and I know that there are at least 231 Speedman fans perusing this site) here are a few Speedman dates coming up...

Speedman are playing at....

Tuesday 12 February:
    Sean O'Casey's, Abbey Street. Battle of the bands

Friday 15 February:
    The Isaac Butt, Dublin. Supporting The Crayonz with the launch of their new single

Saturday 16 February: The Shelter, Dublin.
    Supporting Gramophone

Tuesday 26 February: Eamon Dorans, Dublin.
    Supporting Seer

Wednesday 27 February:
    Auntie Annie's (headline gig), Belfast

www.speedman.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 playground

Playground Psychotic

There's definitely something happening. It seems more people are just going out there and putting on gigs. There's cool music on in loads of places now - there's the Kill!Kill!Kill! thing in Fraser's (although that varies) and let's not forget Clodagh's good work every week in club GZ in the Parnell Mooney. There's also what seems like a semi-permanent thing in Toner's pub on Baggot Street now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Amazing what can happen when people stop being so negative and start trying to build something !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭manofspeed

Definitely. All we need now is to get the punters in tow and to knock their bloody cynicism... as they great aphorism goes - build it and they will come

www.speedman.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Crowe

peace&love
    mr crowe

Shall the murder of crows be represented at this evenings raawwwkkk show in the Sidewalk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭manofspeed

Sorry folks, that Sean O'Casey gig tonight is cancelled from our end.....

www.speedman.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Crowe

........i myself am working:( but my good friend sean will be heading along to lend his support......

peace&love
    mr crowe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

DOes anyone know how to get in contact with the guys and dolls from GZ at Parnell Mooneys.

Also

MArch 14th Mono

Corrupted
    Superskin
    Eyes CLosed
    F-ache

About €5 drinks promo's

sorry to hear ya won't make it along , but cool that Sean will be there...

Imagine that folks ....lookie here, bands supporting each other in Dublin, who'da thought it eh? :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Seprico

I'm playing a Ruby session in Doyles tonight, but expect to see me around 10.30-11.00.....

sweet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

GZ people

ask on thumped.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

its great that the quality of certain bands is being recognized;tho i really am not diggin some bands out there...yes nice songs ARE nice...but what good are they?

its a good to hear "nice" songs every now and then;
    but it takes actual skill and talent to write a good song WITH TECHNICAL SKILL.

i've got a few bands in mind as i write this;i've never seen them live,i've only heard or seen them(no disco),so maybe i'm not writing in calling them ...excrement...pappy...
    sorry for the angism...

it's great that there is a scene thats being recognized.

when i get on stage...oh the day will come...again...
    i will back up what i say with skill.

all we need is co-operation and for the general public to appreciate/accept new things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by Gar_ptc

all we need is co-operation and for the general public to appreciate/accept new things.

well now wouldnt that solve most of the worlds problems?

seems to me Dublin has many fine artists and many young bands with loads of potential - just no distinctly unified marketable sound to get outside attention but with so many good artists something is bound to happen eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

is it wrong/right that so many ppl are just jumping up and starting bands when they have not tried to be skillful at what they do?

there are too many untalented bands around.far too many.
    some bands i dont like ,but have talent,so i tolerate them.
    others just perpetuate the monotony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭stigma

dont forget SINDROME the last firday of every month in the Temple Pub Dorset St
    http://sindrome.gothic.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by Gar_ptc
    is it wrong/right that so many ppl are just jumping up and starting bands when they have not tried to be skillful at what they do?

well Gar you cant expect every band to be stunningly brilliant and original the first time they step on stage. But the more people out there making a go at it the better the chances of something really great surfacing.
    Of course MANY of the very popular bands these days arent particulary skillful so there is little incentive - image and style not musicianship is the path to fame -
    artistry is the path to a good music scene though, i think there is quite a bit of it out there just on the verge of something great - maybe it needs a kick-in-the-arse from somthing to take all that "nice" and make it something "Great" what that is I dont know.

Advertisement