Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1Pack2Build'EmAll

Options
  • 12-02-2002 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

A recent addition to javasoft.com, the java web services development pack seems like the ideal tool for a novice like my self. Unfortunately I seem to be taking the term novice to greater heights - or should that be lows. I managed to compile a couple of servlets in Jbuilder, and start up the tomcat server. Downhill from there, it seems to use ant you have to have a firm grasp of xml and how ant implements it. I have tried manually deploying servlets on the localhost server, i.e. putting them in the correct place but this doesnt seem to work. The starting directory for the server seems to be install_dir\webapps\root\webinf\. Here the index file that loads initally on the tcat server is found. I tried putting class files here and trying to access them with a browser via t-cat but no dice. I then tried putting them in a subdirectory /classes and nothing. I tried a couple of other subdirs of the install_dir but to no avail. does one really have to know xml and the working of ant to use this pack/server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I know a bit of ANT but I have no idea what your trying to do. :)

ANT is a buildtool, it may have the function to create what you want but it is not the do all end all.

I would recommend reading up on servlets and how they are structured and how you put them onto your system before just getting ANT to do it for you.

Also you don't need to know XML to understand ANT. You can use a number of tools to create ANT build files which remove the XML from your view (eg. Antidote). However you should learn how ANT works.

http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/index.html Instructions and a large number of samples of how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

This may also help:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/index.html

Theres a couple of things I'm not entirely clear on. When you say you're trying to access the servlets using a brower are you browing to the class files? or to JSPs?

If you're using JSPs you'll have to set up the web.xml file in the WEB-INF directory. How to do this is explained in the Tomcat documentation. It's under 'How to'.

One other question, what platform is the local host running one. If its Microsofts you'll have to configure the ISAPI redirector dll before you can use Tomcat.

Let us know how you get on :)

Advertisement