Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most (economically) viable alternative to broadband?

Options
  • 12-02-2002 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm just in the process of moving to Dublin from the UK. Having spent the past 9 years in Germany, I am shocked to discover the appalling lack of broadband internet access in the republic. I certainly intend to join you guys in the fight to improve the situation.

In the meantime, I desperately need some advice on the most viable alternative. Which is the best ISP to opt for and are there any flat-rate offerings at all?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

George P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ntl have a flate rate weekend offer, you might be interested in,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<Redirected from IrelandOffline.>

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

You could try http://www.qvolution.com/phonebill.php if you want to work out the cheapest Irish option, based on the sort of hours you expect to spend online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

**** i just calculated my net charges they range from €243.52 [IOL Gold] to €1,197.69 [connect ireland] and they were all 45Kbs .how the hell can connect ireland justify a charge of €1,197.69 per month for 45kbs its mad!!!.where as if i had UTV Glide Time (the cheapest) it would cost me €31.76 for the same time and this is all 45kbs.thank god i have powernet cus it only cost me €50 a month

Connect Ireland is only aimed at DUblin subscribers. Outside the 01 area, you are paying eircom 'long distance' *cof* phone charges. Try again using 'DUblin 24' or 'Rest of dublin' as your area.

• Advertisement

its a bit cheaper but still way 2 much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mcloughl

Hi,

Move to the Dublin 16 / 24 or Dublin 6w areas. NTL have rolled out their cable modem svce. in these areas (I should know I have it!) Cost is 35euro PM flat rate for always on 512kbps.

thats good i am paying £40 [what ever that is in euro] for a 512k connection . but i am not complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Things are improving, but emigrating to a country with proper broadband ISP's and Telephone Service Providers who don't bottle neck the market is still the best solution. You might even get some good weather while you're at it. ;)

512kbps Flat Rate doesn't sound too bad. Get together with a few of you're neighbours and have a mini wireless LAN between houses sharing the bandwidth, and the cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Things are improving, but emigrating to a country with proper broadband ISP's and Telephone Service Providers who don't bottle neck the market is still the best solution.

Rough translation: We're all boggers over here because of Eircom, the OLO's and the Government.

Ooo-aaar!

adam

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishguy
    its a bit cheaper but still way 2 much

Granted, but it's the cheapest dial-up service in Dublin. Cheaper than IOL and Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

I have heard good things about europe online using a
    Satellite Dish
    http://www.europeonline.com/ordering/index.html
    the only thing is that downloads are queued depending on load.

halfab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

Europe on-line is not an Internet provider as far as I know.

From the website:

" Europe Online requires an Internet connection (Modem or ISDN connection) plus an account with an Internet service provider.
    Europe Online does not provide Internet service, but is compatible with all Internet service providers "

Well, unless I missing something I think EOL are offering some heavily cut-down interface to the Internet for specific things.

Besides, these days the cost of full satellite Internet links have come down considerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

Originally posted by halfab
    I have heard good things about europe online using a
    Satellite Dish

Europe Online are filing for bankruptcy. Try IPVIAsat instead.
    http://www.ipviasat.net/

Advertisement