Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playstation question

Options
  • 12-02-2002 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

im a big fan of Squaresoft and all the final fantasy games but i just found out recently that they released an even better game(better than final fantasy 6!?!), in the USA, called Xenogears. was this game ever released in europe? is it any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's superb, but no, it was never released over here. Square seemed concerned that the very religious/"blasphemous" overtones would cause trouble in Europe...

The main problem Xenogears has is that the second disc of the game is pretty much non-interactive; the plotline is superb, but big chunks of it are pure storytelling with no gameplay. There are also some power curve issues.

It forms chapter six (IIRC) of a much bigger story; the first chapter, Xenosaga: Der Wille Nur Macht, is out on the PS2 later this year.

If you REALLY want Square games better than any of the Final Fantasy games, check out Final Fantasy Tactics (a side-story type game) and Chrono Cross (be sure to play Chrono Trigger first).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thanks, but are the games you mentioned, FF Tactics and Chrono Cross, out in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by Shinji
    The main problem Xenogears has is that the second disc of the game is pretty much non-interactive; the plotline is superb, but big chunks of it are pure storytelling with no gameplay. There are also some power curve issues.
    Hmmm, I really liked how they made the second disc and didn't see it as a problem. At the point in the game you would've spent about 20-30 hours wandering around and exploring the xenogear world. More dungeons and wandering would've just seem like more of the same and the story doesn't really need to told told in an interactive way which to be honest, was always just find mr.x and click through the dialogues. I suppose maybe I just liked the change in direction. It was kinda unexpected as I didn't know about it. And yeah, the story was fantastic, can't wait for Xenosaga (the EU release will probably be years).

The other games Shinji mentioned are also great too. And I have no idea where my copy of FF7 and import of Final Fantasy Tactics are. I think my brother lend them to someone and now they're both gone :( Man that's annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by SofaKing
    Thanks, but are the games you mentioned, FF Tactics and Chrono Cross, out in Europe?
    FF Tactics was never released here and I don't recall seeing Chrono Cross but I could be wrong. Chrono Trigger was a SNES game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Chip and import! The only solution! ;)

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wheres the most reliable chipping place in the Dublin area???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

on the subject of imports and such what will happen if you play a ntsc game on a pal playstation?

If it isn't chipped, nothing happens because it won't work. If it is chipped, it's entirely down to the television; if you're hooked up to a good TV via an RGB connection (fully wired SCART or whatever) then it plays perfectly, if not you may have trouble with the picture rolling or being in black and white, which can usually be corrected by getting the proper lead, or buying a convertor box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

cool my tv kicks ass, 28 inch sony widescreen and is fully capable of taking and ntsc signal. i got my hands on chrono cross there a couple of days ago and my comp aint really up to emulating it. tis now time to get a mod chip. any ideas? not the internet no credit card you see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

[topic hijack]
    How's the PSOne for chipping? Can you use the same chip as the GreyStation?
    [/hijack]

• Advertisement

Same chip, different solder mount-points.

Advertisement