Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle - What is it?

• 01-01-2001 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

That is just it. What is Oracle? I know it has something to do with databases etc. but what exactly is it. Seen a lot of job adverts for people with oracle experience and it is just bugging the sh1t out of me. So if someone would be greatful enough to point me in a direction....

Win95/98/ME: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
    to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor
    written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

I love ur sig

saw that ages ago somewhere and ****ed myself tried to explain it to the missus the look of total confusion on here face was a picture. biggrin.gif

Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Just for u i'll show it again!

Win95/98/ME: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
    to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor
    written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

From the greek city of Delphi there was the legendary Oracle that saw and knew all.

You owe the Boards.ie Oracle a popular, reliable, non-microsoft database backend enviroment.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Loomer:
    I work for Oracle - they is well 1337</font>

I have indirectly worked for them as well. I would be inclined to agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Whats so good about them?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've only ever done one of their training courses (PL/SQL Programming Units) and I was mightly impressed. The software itself is nice to use - depending on what you've got you can command line it (if you're l33+) or gui it (if you're a muppet or your company could afford it wink.gif).

Unfortunately we didn't learn any in college, but trust me, it's the biggest and probably the best out there for databases.

But!
    OAS (Oracle Application Server) is truely the biggest collection of soiled underwear the world of IT has ever seen - I've heard stories from some of our developers who've worked on it and, well, they were frightening smile.gif
    I don't know anything about it, but the way these guys and gals were talking, it was Satan incarnate into a piece of software.

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I work for Oracle - they is well 1337

Advertisement