Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question???

• 12-02-2002 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

I have made a website and people have told me that i can get arrested or pay a huge fine for putting up emulators is this true?
    Please help
    Mofu

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

As far as I know, putting up emulator programs (thinks like SNES9x, PSemuPro - ie. the software that runs the rom images) is fine as long as the software author is ok with it.
    But in that case, it's probably better just to put a link to the authors site so people can get the latest versions, without you having to update all the time.

But uploading ROM and BIOS images (the games) and making them available for download is where you can run into trouble.
    I'm not exactly sure what the fines/charges are for running a ROM site, or how seriously it's taken...
    Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?

The words copyright-theft, piracy, and illegal spring to mind... which is why this board has disallowed links to roms, and rom requests.
    Personaly I wouldn't set up an EMU site in the first place :p

Advertisement